Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just had my 01 in for the 90k tune up. The day i took it in, it started making a loud, whining noise when changing gears - particularly when putting it into first or second, or dropping it into reverse. The noise starts after you put it in gear, and when you release the pedal. As soon as the pedal is completely up, the noise goes away. It is a horrible, loud whine.

They told me the clutch itself is fine and does not need to be replaced. They also said the noise is generated by some parts running across a shaft - i can't remember which, but perhaps the throwout bearing. They said this could be replaced whenever i do the clutch.

At this point the noise is killing me. Does the throwout bearing make sense and can it be fixed without doing the whole clutch?

Thanks!!!

It could be the throw-out bearing. But to get to it, you have to separate the transmission from the engine, and at that point, it is about 90% of changing the clutch. The bearing is about $30, the whole clutch is about $300 or so, but the labour is just about the same, probably 4-6 hours, at a guess.

This is a tough one. What price mental health?

Thanks for your feedback - So far i've avoided getting maintenance repairs done by dealership. They've quoted me $1300 for the clutch and whatever the fix is here. How specialized are these subie parts, or should i just find a good transmission shop?

The dealer will likely be the most expensive place. Get a printed quote from them, including the throw-out bearing, and shop around. Start asking some of your friends for a recommendation on a reputable independent shop that has experience working on Subarus. Maybe someone on this board who lives in your area can recommend you a shop? You may have to make a new post to get recommendations though.