Ultimate Subaru Message Board

found performance control modules for 90 legacy

Sure looks like nothing more than expensive crap. All it's doing is tricking the computer to think the engine is getting more/less air than it really is. That's not a good way to get power. It takes the right combination of A/F ratio and spark timing to make real power and be reliable. I wouldn't buy it. An open intake and exhaust would cost about the same and give you better performance.

I'm a true disbeliever (and don't have one of the cars it's supposed to work on), but for curiosity I took a look at the thing. The claim is 25% increase in HP over the 1,000-5,000 RPM range. Interesting...

...but not too likely. Energy produced is directly related to fuel burned. Since all the module connects to besides power and ground is TPS and MAP or MAF (according to the info at the website), the most the module could do is increase the fuel/air ratio. The module's application is for a '90-'91 manual trans Legacy. Unless those models normally run unusually lean in the 1k-5k RPM range, increasing F/A isn't going to help much. Going excessively rich won't improve HP, but it will kill your gas mileage among other things.

Burning more fuel and air in the proper ratio can certainly provide more power, but that requires being able to get the mixture in and out of the engine faster. That could require freer flowing intake and exhaust, larger cylinder volume, or cramming more charge into the cylinders under pressure (that's what super-/turbo-chargers do). The control module can't do any of that.

Anyone have a different "read" on this?

Actually I looked around and found info on legacy central about it. Looks like its a scam.[...]

Not surprising; there are few, if any, free ($300?!) lunches. Subaru engineers may not get everything right, but missing on HP potential by 25% would be quite a stretch. Don't forget, by definition, "venom" = "poison". :)