Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical?? Again on 88 XT6

Just curious...I found Rockys demon ( bad connector on the Alt) I havent gotten the new connector yet and this morning I had to turn around and bring Rocky home cause the lights dimmed and he was back to charging at around 9 volts...( risked it and took Bucky to work )I just cleaned the contacts on the connector..cause the new one isnt here yet..checked the connection to the battery..checked fuses and links...No better..can running with that connector bad ( caused glowing dash lights) burn out the new 9 month old Alt? The whole issues started with a bad serpentine belt so the alt wasnt turning right..Any..opinions

Thanks

Hi Connie This is Jerry, there is a guy that has the same car that you have and he had a problem with the charging system. The problem he had was the crank pulley. It was spinning inside of its self where the inside of the pulley was turning engine speed but the out side of the pulley was spinning about half speed. Please look at that you could have the same problem. Thanks Jerry

adding metal can change the voltage regulator...

The most common example of this is adding a trailer hitch and wondering the same problems you are currently having..

9 months old and a metal repair most likely needed for years, makes a newer alt old very fast. That is only if the brushes are good. Used alts can bust one out for the reason of thier origin being the contentment that keeps it synched and running normal.If all grounds are there, there is only one volt regulator- feel free to Blame it.

um ummmmm HUH?!?!?

Connie, I am going to put my check mark next to another corroded connector.

This being the one on the fusible link to the alt.

The link may be good but the connection to the wire feeding it

can give problems.

The problem starts with some corrosion causing resistance,

this in turn causes heat, the spring clip (spade connector)

looses it's temper - so to speak. "Springyness" to those technical sorts.

Which in turn causes more resistance and dah dah dah.

Just something I've seem more than once

hope it helps.

BTW

Is Melis's XT6 a gray color?

Thanks Skip..that makes complete sence...I will check that out when I get home from work and thanks to Benebob I have a new connector coming..hatchsubs comment makes sence too:grin: ..

Oh also Skip..Melis's XT6 is white mine is dark grey with rusty highlights:)