Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Complete A/C system value$$$?

I've completely removed the AC from my 84 hatch via the original port-installers directions/diagrams. I've done it right, no cutting, no bashing.

I have the diagram, original 'option' sheet signed by the installer at the port of delivery, and the entire system - fuses, connectors, relays, all of it, except for an engine-bay hose from the condenser to the evaporator that can be bought at any auto parts store. It's in great shape and has a newer compressor.

I don't want this. Does it have any resale value? Anyone here want it?

Basically it's worth what someone will give for it. You can't really put a value to it - it's going to be worth more to someone restoring a Brat in Arizona, than someone in Alaska :rolleyes:.

Going by u-pull-it prices, I would say all the bits would probably run you about ~$75.... depending on the yard, and how well they know you.

It would be helpful to the community here if you could scan or photo the instructions that you have. Those can benefit us all.....

GD

+1 for scanning the instructions.

About to remove the A/C system in my wagon. Granted the turbo setup is a little different, but it should give me an idea.

As for value, its entirely dependent upon what someone wants to pay. I would just post the stuff up, and say "make offer" until you get what you think is fair for your time.

I've just about finished putting A/C INTO my Brat and you've probably missed a few bits that can still be taken out. The thermo fan for the A/C can go (if your hatch is 4wd it should be replaced by the crank-driven version but personally given your location I don't think it's necessary as the other electric fan will kick in when required and should handle the heat), the bracket that holds the A/C compressor and alternator can be replaced by the no-A/C bracket that weights about 1/3 as much (unless you have power steering, I haven't seen an EA81 with P/S but without A/C so I don't know if that bracket exists as a third variant). The internal airbox can be replaced by the non-A/C version which means you can put the longer glovebox in (the airbox should seperate into 2 parts, you keep the one with the round fan and remove the other part with a non-A/C original). There should be a cable running from directly behind the dash controls which can be disconnected (it piggy-backs into the main car loom). You should be able to unbolt the front pulley off the crank - there are two 14mm bolts from memory which hold it on, plus of course the main crank bolt which you then re-tighten afterwards to the torque'd setting.

I've got a RHD vehicle, but I believe most of the above should apply to LHD. That A/C bracket is a PITA to change over, as one of the bolts is directly under the carby and you have to loosen/tighten about 1/16 of a turn each time (I used a breaker bar and it just fitted under the carby base, a socket wrench won't fit).

Dean.

I've just about finished putting A/C INTO my Brat and you've probably missed a few bits that can still be taken out. The thermo fan for the A/C can go (if your hatch is 4wd it should be replaced by the crank-driven version but personally given your location I don't think it's necessary as the other electric fan will kick in when required and should handle the heat)

Our EA81's never had crank driven fans.

the bracket that holds the A/C compressor and alternator can be replaced by the no-A/C bracket that weights about 1/3 as much (unless you have power steering, I haven't seen an EA81 with P/S but without A/C so I don't know if that bracket exists as a third variant).

PS is on the opposite side, so has nothing to do with AC here.

The internal airbox can be replaced by the non-A/C version which means you can put the longer glovebox in (the airbox should seperate into 2 parts, you keep the one with the round fan and remove the other part with a non-A/C original). There should be a cable running from directly behind the dash controls which can be disconnected (it piggy-backs into the main car loom).

Our glove boxes are all the same size. Must be a weird LHD thing.

You should be able to unbolt the front pulley off the crank - there are two 14mm bolts from memory which hold it on, plus of course the main crank bolt which you then re-tighten afterwards to the torque'd setting.

Our pullies are all one-peice.

I've got a RHD vehicle, but I believe most of the above should apply to LHD.

Guess not huh?

GD

I'll try to get a good digital photo of the instructions as they are in acordian-map format; about 2'x2'.

As for the LHD advice, it's alllllllll wrong. Except for the AC bracket, wherein weight reduction was the main goal of this process of course it's been removed and replaced with a non-AC bracket. For curiosities sake it is a non-power steering car.

And an addition - I am keeping the additional electric fan simply because this is a strictly off road high RPM beater and I'll need the cooling. That's something someone can pick up at a local boneyard for a few bucks.

Golddiggerroo - if you want to pony up $75 plus whatever shipping is, it's yours.

>>Our EA81's never had crank driven fans.

Only our 4wd's did...must have been for the hotter weather we get here (especially up north). When I removed it (prior to the A/C install) the cars did rev a lot better...I assume your US-delivered cars just had the one thermo fan and the A/C cars also got the other thermo fan ?

CRANKFAN.JPG

>>PS is on the opposite side, so has nothing to do with AC here.

Same here, but the bracket should still be the same design (A/C is on the right side of engine (looking from the front of the car), and P/S is on the left - I don't think Subaru would change that layout for RHD/LHD ?). I haven't looked into enough P/S equipped cars to see if the bracket is different. Changing from the A/C bracket to the non-A/C would save I'd guess 15 kg...it is _that_ heavy.

Non-AC : BRACKET.JPG

With-AC (fitted to car now) : BRACKET2.JPG

BRACKET3.JPG

>>Our glove boxes are all the same size. Must be a weird LHD thing.

Our non-A/C are much deeper but otherwise the same shape. Subaru used the same mould for both types, but cut the depth and put a screw-on cap across the back to clear the extra A/C equipment in the cabin.

Red outlined area is removed and blocked off in A/C cars : GLOVEBOX.JPG

>>Our pullies are all one-peice.

We have three types, all bolting on one-after-another. The medium one for the alternator, then a smaller one for the P/S (if fitted), and then a larger one for A/C (if fitted). There wouldn't be any real performance gain out of you guys switching from a larger pulley to a single one would there (less dead weight to spin is better) ?

Dean.

We have three types, all bolting on one-after-another. The medium one for the alternator, then a smaller one for the A/C (if fitted), and then a larger one for P/S (if fitted). I assume the P/S one uses larger bolts and runs through the A/C pulley. P/S mostly seems to be found on the coupes and wagons here (we didn't get hatches :rolleyes: ). There wouldn't be any real gain out of you guys switching from a larger pulley to a single one would there ?

We have two pulleys - the 1980 (maybe some 81's) pulley is a single groove, and all the rest were 3 groove pulleys. Both are just single peice pulleys.

Power steering has nothing to do with the AC. Brackets or otherwise. It's entirely seperate.

GD

We have two pulleys - the 1980 (maybe some 81's) pulley is a single groove, and all the rest were 3 groove pulleys. Both are just single peice pulleys.

Actually, GD, the crank pulley on my 84 ea81 is a two-groove: one for alternator/water pump, one for the AC. The car never had power steering, so would that be the third groove that isnt there? Either way, I went to a single grove pulley - I know it's paultry, but the less rotating mass the better. Now to bolt on 40 lb. mud tires!!!! :-\

Actually, GD, the crank pulley on my 84 ea81 is a two-groove: one for alternator/water pump, one for the AC. The car never had power steering, so would that be the third groove that isnt there?

Actually it's a 3 groove, you just haven't seen the PS system to understand. The 3rd groove is between the alternator groove, and the AC groove. You probably just thought that was a vacant space.

GD

Actually it's a 3 groove, you just haven't seen the PS system to understand. The 3rd groove is between the alternator groove, and the AC groove. You probably just thought that was a vacant space.

GD

Sweet! Learn something new every day. Those crazy Japanese engineers think of all kinds of crazy stuff...20 years ago...

Kinko's or any other copy shop could make a full-size copy of that for about $5 max... or if you have a scanner and image editing software, a scan of that would be really cool to add to the USMB resources....

I'll try to get a good digital photo of the instructions as they are in acordian-map format; about 2'x2'.

Our glove boxes are all the same size. Must be a weird LHD thing.

Ive seen 3 very early ea81 ("gen2") cars that had the deeper glovebox. They were all models that did not have the emblem on the climate controls indicating they were equipped for addition of A/C. I tried to install the deeper glovebox and it wouldnt work in my a/c optional car...it was HUGE too would have really been nice to have.