Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More Datsun Similarities

Currently, I am bored out of my mind so looking at old datsuns on ebay I stumbled across this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-DATSUN-620-PICKUP-Best-on-Ebay-CLEAN-CALIF-TRUCK_W0QQitemZ270083500786QQihZ017QQcategoryZ84165QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To get to the point, the air cleaner box on this looks awfully alot like that on EA71's

5ad6_12.JPG

Then there was the little body code sticker that looks exactly like the one on my brat.

5bb0_12.JPG

I am aware of the fact that we share parts with nissan/datsun. Just thought I might be able to contribute to this community that has aided me on several occasions.

interesting.

I know they also have things in commen like the R160, same prop shaft splines and design, same rear calipers in some cases. Theres more I can't think of right now, but it's good to know where to get parts from.

Anyone else know what else is interchangable?

The first day I find a pentastar on it, im selling it.

hahaha well its only in recent years..say 1984-present that chrysler products have sucked. I would give anything for an R/T charger from 68-70. 375 horses and 8.1mpg..thats hot as a certain dumb blonde would say.

When I had chevy LUV's I learned alot about cross-referencing parts. Let's see--same alternator, cap and rotor, rear brake cylinders, etc. A local part's chain (Gatling's) printed all the app's on the boxes their parts came in, and they were all out in the store, no hassling somebody to look them up--I miss that.

Well, Isuzu doesn't sell any of its own vehicles for regular consumer use anymore in the US. The Ascender is nothing more than a TrailBlazer/Envoy/Rainier/9-7X/etc. rebadge. The i-series trucks are nothing more than Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon rebadges.

The Hombre that they used to make was based off the S10/Sonoma.

However, the Duramax diesel engines in the Chevy/GMC full-size trucks are made by Isuzu. And Isuzu still sells their box trucks for commercial use.

At one point, Nissan owned a share (I dont remember how large) of Fuji Heavy, and there was a lot of parts/supplier sharing going on. I dont think this is the case anymore, I believe GM bought Nissan's share in Fuji Heavy several years ago. Personally, I wish this hadnt happened. I think that Nissan and Subaru would have made better partners than the GM/Subie or Nissan/Renault deals we have now. Too bad.... Just recently, we had a Outback wagon on the used car lot at the Nissan dealer I work at. It needed a power window switch and one for a 98-01 Altima was an exact fit. This morning, I got the engine back in my 96 Legacy OB and a Nissan air filter (that fits a ton of Nissans) was an exact match also.

I knew chevy had done some recent Isuzu cross-overs in the past year with the Isuzu Pup which was the same thing as an S-10. Wasn't aware the LUV was the same thing though.

Yup, Chevy LUV was wholely designed and built by Isuzu for GM. I think that they were built completely in Japan too. Same deal as the Dodge D-50's were actually Mitsubishi trucks, and the Ford Courier's were actually Mazda trucks. The big three needed something to compete against Toyota and Datsun, and it was faster to import stuff than try to design one themselves to begin with. To bad they stopped just importing japanese trucks in the mid 80's, because I've never liked the Rangers, Dakotas, or S-10's that replaced the rebadged imports.

I have a friend with a dodge/mitsu D-50. he used to swear up an down on how it was a dodge.one day i had him go with me to see a mitsubishi of the same design/same year for sale...

for some reason he joined the marines and sold the truck sometime afterwards.