Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 STD rear suspension (aka gd v. bratman)

just picked up this car for $95, 86 STD hatchback, 4 spd fwd, its got the 2wd subi problem a lot of them around here had of the rear suspension tube rusting in half, called subaru earlier and they had already performed the recall on this one, and it rusted in half again,

now what i'm thinking of doing if i keep the car intact is swapping my 4wd system from the brat into it, but what all parts will i need to do it all,

so far i can figure i need a 4wd hatch torsion bar setup, diff hanger and brackets, and a hatch d/s, and some new shocks, and a 4wd hatch gas tank, anything important i'm missing here

i've got the trans laying in the basement out of the brat, and i can get ahold of a driveshaft from a local junk yard, they've got one on its side that has pretty much all of its underside stuff intact, probably going down there next friday and i just wanna make sure i know what all i will need,

after looking at it i've also decided i need to get the brake drums and hubs from the donor as well

4WD swaps on EA81's (EA71 in your case, but same body) aren't as easy as people think.

#1 The tranny tunnel won't fit the 4WD tranny - you'll have to beat it, or use spacers like a lift kit.

#2 Exhaust is different from the y back

#3 The 4WD lever mount doesn't exist. Fabrication time.

There's more, but it's been over 2 years since I did my wagon, so I can't remember right now. It was a pain in the butt, and I'll never do another one.

Also - good luck finding a 4WD hatch fuel tank.

GD

4WD swaps on EA81's (EA71 in your case, but same body) aren't as easy as people think.

#1 The tranny tunnel won't fit the 4WD tranny - you'll have to beat it, or use spacers like a lift kit.

#2 Exhaust is different from the y back

#3 The 4WD lever mount doesn't exist. Fabrication time.

There's more, but it's been over 2 years since I did my wagon, so I can't remember right now. It was a pain in the butt, and I'll never do another one.

Also - good luck finding a 4WD hatch fuel tank.

GD

The fuel tank will be the least of his worries, plenty of those lying around up there

Oh yeah - and there's the bit about the EA71 not haveing any flywheel that matches the 225mm clutch disc. So you'll be stuck with the 200mm 2WD clutch. Which if you are planning to lift it..... is going to suck. Been there :dead:

GD

also failed to mention the ea81 i have laying in the basement from the brat will also be finding its new home in the hatchback....

and if all else fails and i decide to go 2wd i have an ea81 5spd laying directly beside the ea81 d/r and said motor....

Engine, tranny and suspension transplant? Seems like an aweful lot of work to me..... I say that having done it before.

And you realize that the Hatch tank is shorter right? A normal wagon/brat/etc tank won't fit. It's hard to find them here usually because hatch's are the second most rare after brat's. And half the ones you do find are 2WD tanks.

GD

i honestly see it as no less work than going on with the brat at this point in time, full ej driveline swap; 5mt doesn't come close to going into the tunnel, custom driveshaft, custom axles, custom shift linkage, wiring modifications, cutting of motor crossmember, custom tranny mounts, and the list goes on

all the wiring is intact on the hatch, and it doesn't have a motor sitting in it, the 2wd posibilty is probably more what i'll do, but i was trying to see exactly what would need to go under this car to make it a 4wd since i do have *most* of the needed parts laying around

And you realize that the Hatch tank is shorter right? A normal wagon/brat/etc tank won't fit. It's hard to find them here usually because hatch's are the second most rare after brat's. And half the ones you do find are 2WD tanks.

GD

yes i do realize this, and this gas tank laying beside the brat came out of a 4wd hatch from a local junk yard, i witnessed the pulling of it myself, and there are, as i said before, at least ten other 4wd hatchbacks in this junk yard,

also if you would like to know for sure, my white 86 brat had a 4wd hatch gas tank swapped directly into it by my mechanic about 6 years ago, they bolt in the exact same way, i know this because the tank beside my maroon brat has been test fitted into the brat by ME, they have a different capasity, ~11 gal verses ~14 gal

if you would like pictures to prove these statements let me know, i will verify what i know

if you would like pictures to prove these statements let me know, i will verify what i know

I don't need pictures - I've handled them all as well. My point was that a Brat/wagon/sedan/hardtop tank won't fit in a hatch. I didn't comment on the other way around, but being that it's smaller it stands to reason that it would fit in there.

GD

I don't need pictures - I've handled them all as well. My point was that a Brat/wagon/sedan/hardtop tank won't fit in a hatch. I didn't comment on the other way around, but being that it's smaller it stands to reason that it would fit in there.

GD

well as i see things if the bolt holes line up from one chassis to another then it will bolt into either, may have to put the rusty old gas tank from the brat under the hatch just for the shear heck of it, and take pictures

but wouldn't simple things like bolt holes that line up, and the hatch tank in brat still having the same alingment of the indentions for the diff and axle seem to imply shared fitment, if indeed they were shorter because of shorter wheelbase, why then would they be a perfect fit for the brat, and not go the other way?

As I recall it's the height of the tank - being that the whole rear end assembly is farther forward the cargo area/rear seat shelf on the hatch extends into the tank area and makes it shallower. Such that a wagon tank is too tall to go in far enough. That's why they have a smaller capacity.

GD

if i were to lift this one as you suggested and dropped all of the suspension components then what would it matter, using washers, or other various things to space it down would cure the ailment

if i were to lift this one as you suggested and dropped all of the suspension components then what would it matter, using washers, or other various things to space it down would cure the ailment

Depends on how you lift it. I have 4" of suspension lift on my wagon, and the diff is still in the stock location. But if you used blocks, then yes you could put in a larger tank probably. But if you are doing that, then a 2WD tank would be better as it has no diff hump. Also, if you ARE going to all that trouble, it would be better to put in a fuel cell as the tanks are not well protected. I have a few dents in mine, and it's not lowered at all. Spacing it down like that..... it would be very vulnerable to impact.

Also the location of the filler neck, and tube might require modification to lower the tank like that. Messy - too messy for my taste.

GD

nah, messy is blowing a built honda motor apart in a street race when the rod bolt sheers off from too high rpm, and half of your eagle rod goes screaming thru the front side of the block, thru the grill, and across a 4 lane highway, sending out a trail of about 4 quarts of valvaline 5w-30 for the next couple hundred feet,

when you work at a shop that makes/ installs/ distributes flatbeds and gooseneck trailors to about 1/3 of the east coast and you have all that scrap metal and welding equipment at your disposal, not to mention all the spare filler necks for when those flatbeds go on trucks, this kinda stuff is childs play

anyway, back to the original intent of this post, as i have stated i have a d/r 4spd, rear diff, gas tank and a few other various things needed for a 4wd swap into a hatch,

i am asking if anybody can give some information about what i NEED to finish the job,

i am NOT looking for your personal b/s about how you wouldn't do this or wouldn't do that, or how many times you've done this kind of thing and how difficult it was for you to do it while eating your ham sandwich and watching tv, personally i don't care how hard it was for you to do this stuff, i was inquiring about what physical parts i will need in order for ME to do this to MY personal car

fabriction is not a difficult thing for me, neither is physical labor, as far as i am concerned your personal accounts are not note worthy when i am dealing with this on my own recognicance, with my own time, tools and knowledge,

thank you come again

Well - being that you're so awesome, then you should be able to figure it out.

I never asked anyone - I just made it happen. And there's very few that have ever converted an EA81 from 2 to 4. Me, Turbone, and a few others. People love to claim it's easy, but few of them have ever done it. And all the one's I've talked with agree that it's not worth the effort unless the body is something very, very special.

GD

Well - being that you're so awesome, then you should be able to figure it out.

I never asked anyone - I just made it happen. And there's very few that have ever converted an EA81 from 2 to 4. Me, Turbone, and a few others. People love to claim it's easy, but few of them have ever done it. And all the one's I've talked with agree that it's not worth the effort unless the body is something very, very special.

GD

well i'm very happy for all you guys, i'm glad you enjoy blindly going into a project with having any for knowledge of what you are looking at, congrad-u-f'in-lations buddy, and i'll have some pics for you when i join this ever so elite group of individuals who had brazened all odds to do something that a major manufacturer did in a big ol' factory with great big machines,

earlier in the day i was just going to do a 5 spd 2wd swap to the ol' car and call it a day, another congrads is in order for you, disorder, as you're narrow minded, egocentric, i am the all-knowing guru of the old subaru, do no question my opinions or i will endlessly hi-jack your honest questioned thread attitude has forced me to no other alternative that making my hatch 4wd, and also i'll take some pictures of all these 'rare' 4wd hatches in the junk yard when i go for some parts

If we are going to take it to the street - then I'll just point out that at least I can spell, capitalize sentences, and know where and how to use punctuation. Other than that, I don't have a need to say much really do I? I've already sucessfully done this swap, and many, many others. One of the benefits of age I suppose.

GD