Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 STD rear suspension (aka gd v. bratman)

If we are going to take it to the street - then I'll just point out that at least I can spell, capitalize sentences, and know where and how to use punctuation. Other than that, I don't have a need to say much really do I? I've already sucessfully done this swap, and many, many others. One of the benefits of age I suppose.

GD

oh wow, you've got me by three years, hmmm thats extrodinary, and as far as spelling and grammar, i didn't realize you were a third grade teacher, or did i fail to notice in the by-laws of the usmb that puntuation, grammar, spelling, and capitalization would be graded at the end of each post,

but as it stands i really don't care how i write what i write, it gets the job done, people understand what i'm saying, and i don't have to be a prick to do it, i never questioned your "knowledge" or what you had done, must be something about the air out there where you live, or the fact that you can't get your head out of your rump roast far enough to see that most people, in fact, do not care how hard another person thinks something will be, they already have a good idea of what it is going to take, some just like to make sure they know the amount of supplies needed to get it done, and will do it either way

opionions are like *********************s, everybody has one, and they should keep it to themselves unless someone asks them to share it with them

Didn't say it was hard - I said it wasn't worth it. And it isn't when 4WD's are availible all over the place for cheap. There's no way you can make it economically viable. The labor cost alone removes any positive impact on the value of the vehicle (yes, I know it's free, but your time IS worth something if for no other reason than you *could* be doing something else to make more money). Add to that it's a STD (don't get me wrong - love the headlights) and doesn't have a tach, oil pressure, or any of the other useful bits for offroad, You could add them but again - added cost. At some point you have to look at the return on your effort, and for the amount of work required to swap an EA81 over to 4WD - at least for now - it's not going to be cheaper than just buying one that's already 4WD.

As for 3rd grade..... it's an overall indicator of intelligence, and attention to detail. For example - I don't want to buy a car from you because your attention to detail doesn't seem all that refined. Nothing personal, but I have high standards when it comes to previously modified vehicles. I either want them virgin from someone that knows nothing at all other than how to change the oil, or I want very, very professional work - the same way I would do it, with no corners cut.

GD

*flings poo* just trying to fit in, guys :dead:

bratman.. you can use whatever fuel tank you want. Whether you specifically asked if you SHOULD or not, Rick's advice concerning the folly of lowering the gas tank on a 4x4 rig is sound. And while I sometimes wince at his breathtakingly bluntly swung opinions, his advice (as well as the unsolicited advice of MANY others here) is often given for the intent of saving someone a lot of blood, sweat, and tears down the the line, or for the intent of preventing someone from making an unfortunate mistake, such as lowering the fuel tank on a lifted rig.

I'd have to agree that such an idea IS messy - too much work for too little payoff. The same thing he said earlier. If it's easier for you to find the "right" fuel tank than it is for him, then I'm glad that you can find the right part for your swap instead of mickey-mousing the job.

I don't know about either of you guys but I have better things to do than squabble over crap like this - like meeting Sabrina for a drink in a half-hour :brow: I suggest you each do something similar :Flame:

*flings poo* just trying to fit in, guys :dead:

bratman.. you can use whatever fuel tank you want. Whether you specifically asked if you SHOULD or not, Rick's advice concerning the folly of lowering the gas tank on a 4x4 rig is sound. And while I sometimes wince at his breathtakingly bluntly swung opinions, his advice (as well as the unsolicited advice of MANY others here) is often given for the intent of saving someone a lot of blood, sweat, and tears down the the line, or for the intent of preventing someone from making an unfortunate mistake, such as lowering the fuel tank on a lifted rig.

I'd have to agree that such an idea IS messy - too much work for too little payoff. The same thing he said earlier. If it's easier for you to find the "right" fuel tank than it is for him, then I'm glad that you can find the right part for your swap instead of mickey-mousing the job.

I don't know about either of you guys but I have better things to do than squabble over crap like this - like meeting Sabrina for a drink in a half-hour :brow: I suggest you each do something similar :Flame:

i honestly have nothing against him, or doing things the correct way, i much prefer that over half assing any day, it comes as simply as this, i stated i had at the very least ten ea81 4wd hatches in a junk yard with parts at my disposal, it irritates the crap out of me when i state the obvious and it is still thrown up that it will be hard for me to find what i need, and as i stated also i am not sure at this point whether this car will be a part out or not, i am weighing the possibility of three options, putting together a 4wd hatch, putting together an ea81 5spd fwd hatch, or parting it out, actually getting a title with the car and my heart not wanting to see another one get scrapped makes me want to do something, anything with it

i do understand the difference in gas tanks, and the stupidity of a lowered tank for offroad use, and would not under any circumstance do this unless under the influence of alcohol and in despiration to make my car move,

as far as my mechanical ability, there are many testimates to my knowledge and technique in the honda world in my area, sorry i've been away from subaru's for the majority of the last 5 years, and i've probably gotten rusty

i originally bought this car because it has two good 2wd axles in the front of it, and these are what i need for my ej swap, since the car was cheaper than two new axles i figured what the heck, get it out of my mechanics way and get some axles, i just happened to be in an irritated mood when he started posting or i would have probably not gotten flustered,

but anyway, in one big run on sentence that is my posting style on any and all message boards, if you don't like it, don't read it, and don't judge me by my writing style,