Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Terrible mpg

Rick,

I've given you all the details you are going to get. I've worked hard to get the milage I'm getting. If you want to get the maximum milage possible, you'll have to too.

I'm done with this @#$%$#@#$% forum. I've got better things to do than to argue with an IDIOT.

Goodby.

DANG! Sucks to be that guy! Personally, I have never found anything on the web more helpful than you guys-

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick,

1. Carburetion - I experimented with different jets and float levels in my carb to see what works best and no it isn’t stock. Since every engine is a little different, you’ll have to play with jetting and float levels to see what works best. It was a matter of trial & error but it is leaner than stock and the float level is lower.

What about running too lean? Everyone knows thats bad. Learning to fly, the rental planes are rented "wet". You don't pay for fuel, only rental. This keeps inexperianced pilots from leaning the mixture too much in an effort to save fuel. Thus causing undue wear on the engines. Too lean may save fuel, but at what expense?

Too lean may save fuel, but at what expense?

If you can run slightly lean without predetonation, it will improve fuel economy, but it's still a bit risky and increases emissions. There is an excellent graph in the book "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management" by Charles O. Probst that shows how fuel mixture affects fuel economy. If you have low octane fuel, a turbocharger, or high compression there isn't much chance of running lean without predetonation.