Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb help?

Check the linkage for smooth operation and make sure the fast idle cam isn't engaged. I guess you allready tried to adjust the idle with the idle screw? Also, the throttle cable can also do this if you installed or adjusted it while the engine was cold. After it heats up and the fast idle kicks down, the cable will be too tight. I would say to back off the idle screw all the way, back off the throttle cable all the way so there's a bunch of slack so nothing will be holding the throttle open. Then check for vacuum leaks.

Is the throttle cable frayed? It may be the only problem. Disconnect it from the carb then work the throttle shaft. Does is return to the idle position? Look down into the carb bores and see if the throttle plate is jamming up on the sides of the bore, if you have excessive throttle shaft play.

Theres a couple of throttle cables on Ebay, about the same price as a parts store, if any have them!

Problems with Acceleration / No Power, seems to be the Secondary Stage of the Hitachi Carb. ... Maybe the Vacuum is improperly hooked to the Wrong point... but you can test if the Cable is Wrong, by Disconnectin` it and try to "Manually" accelerate... if it Returns to normal Idle, its the Cable.

But if not, is a Carb Issue, I Suggest to try with the Secondary...

But Even Better Solution is to Swap a Weber instead... I done that to my White Wagon, and it Never did perform better than with the Weber, and we got it since new in 1985...

Good Luck! :)