Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake gasket questions

ok, in auto i got the whole thing apart, but my auto teacher says, if i never want to have to do this for a long time, or ever, that i should use this Anorberic (SPelling?) THe stuff that doesnt harden unless its not exposed to oxygen and turns to a plasticy sort of sealer. He wants me to put a thing layer of that on the gaskets, both sides. Should i do this? or am i asking for it to fail, i REALLY need this thing to just stop leaking, im not into doing this Again.

Also, is there a torque sequence, i know its 14-16 lbs, but what order should i torque them?

Dealer only. NO SEALANT. The proper gaskets are graphite impregnated metal - just like a head gasket. And just like the HG's, they are designed to be installed dry.

Clean the mating surfaces with a wire wheel. Clean the bolts with a wire wheel, and chase the threads in the heads with a tap. Torque to 12-14 ft/lbs with a 3/8" torque wrench. There's no sequence.

If you use the cheap cardboard aftermarket gaskets then probably use a sealer on them - but they will fail no matter what you use. There's a reason Subaru doesn't make them from cardboard.

GD

I will repeat, don't forget to clean the threads in the heads out with a thread chaser. You should have one in your shop, hopefully. If not, "to do it right" as your teacher said, you should go buy one. The new OEM bolts are worthless if you forget that.

good luck convincing your teacher that the internet was right :lol:

ok, in auto i got the whole thing apart, but my auto teacher says, if i never want to have to do this for a long time, or ever, that i should use this Anorberic (SPelling?) THe stuff that doesnt harden unless its not exposed to oxygen and turns to a plasticy sort of sealer.

It wouldn't hurt if you coated the gaskets with the same non-hardening sealant used to join the two block halves, but it's probably not needed as other people said.

It wouldn't hurt if you coated the gaskets with the same non-hardening sealant used to join the two block halves, but it's probably not needed as other people said.

Actually it will hurt - you will prevent the graphite from bonding with the aluminium. If properly installed, dissasembly should result in the destruction of the gasket as it bonds to the aluminium sufaces like a head gasket would. This is why the surfaces must be COMPLETELY clean. All the failures I've seen were related to cheap gaskets or poorly prepared mating surfaces.

GD

ALWAYS use antiseize on your intake bolts, they break so easy after 150k miles. It's a B(female dog)h to drill out and rethread or helicoil.( I like Helicoil cuz they will last way longer than crappy soft aluminum thread. Especially when you dismantle and reinstall occasionally)(sp?)

Actually it will hurt - you will prevent the graphite from bonding with the aluminium. If properly installed, dissasembly should result in the destruction of the gasket as it bonds to the aluminium sufaces like a head gasket would. This is why the surfaces must be COMPLETELY clean. All the failures I've seen were related to cheap gaskets or poorly prepared mating surfaces.

GD

Indeed..... If you have to use sealent, it must be one that will set, like a copper sealant. Non setting goo is for use on paper gaskets and the like only.