Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Relatively new-to-me 2000 4-cyl OBW w/ 101K. I had been postponing the 90K service (other than oil & filter, transmission fluid & filter, air filter, all which I have done) hoping to combine it with the 105K timing belt service, but car is now not running right - it frequently bogs down and sounds like a mis-fire. What would most likely explanation be? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, valve adjustment, something else? I'm going to start by changing the fuel filter; any special precautions I need to take?

Would also appreciate name of competent independent Subaru mechanic in Northern Virginia; I can't afford what the dealers want to charge.

TIA.

Are you getting any CEL codes thrown? You can pretty easily change the basic stuff like fuel filter, plugs and wires yourself for a start to see if that cures the misfire. Is it when engine is only cold or only warm or all of the time? Or intermittent? give us more specific observations.

Are you getting any CEL codes thrown? You can pretty easily change the basic stuff like fuel filter, plugs and wires yourself for a start to see if that cures the misfire. Is it when engine is only cold or only warm or all of the time? Or intermittent? give us more specific observations.

Yah, if you don't know the cars hostory just do plugs and wires, it needs it anyhow. Easy to do ... OEM only!

Thanks for the quick responses. Happens when car is warm. Intermittent. Wires appear to be original; plugs probably haven't been changed since 30K; fuel filter probably hasn't been changed since 30K; check engine light flickered the first time this happened several days ago and is now on steadily but I haven't pulled any codes yet.

Do I have to relieve any pressure in the fuel system before changing the fuel filter? How hard is it to change the plugs?

What are the symptoms of a bad knock sensor? Mine was replaced by the previous owner about 60K or so ago.

I made one interesting observation - the first time this problem occurred several days ago, after a particularly noticeable 'pop' from the engine compartment, I noticed that the center clip on the air filter box had sprung open. Related, or mere coincidence?

Probably hasn't been done before so likely due and a darned cheap and easy fix. I've been told that if you take it off and shake it and can hear the valve rattle, it's probably still OK.

look into replacing the PCV valve. I think that this could have caused that "pop" off - especially if it was clogged.

i've heard the same thing, but they only cost 7$!!!!!!!!!!! why on earth would you different logic for a 7$ pcv when we always say "change the wires, it needs it". they cost 45+$.

it's always challenging when you buy a used car.

Probably hasn't been done before so likely due and a darned cheap and easy fix. I've been told that if you take it off and shake it and can hear the valve rattle, it's probably still OK.

What I hoped to infer was that while the suggestion to change the PVC was a cheap and easy fix, by rattling the valve, you might also be able to immediately differentiate whether the PCV was the problem and not just another of many things that should/could be done. By the way John, your ! key seems to be stuck or dragging.;)

i've heard the same thing, but they only cost 7$!!!!!!!!!!! why on earth would you different logic for a 7$ pcv when we always say "change the wires, it needs it". they cost 45+$.

it's always challenging when you buy a used car.

Progress report: Changed the fuel filter and the PCV valve first, but no change in condition. Then changed plugs and wires and problem completely went away. And, after 2 or 3 starts the check engine light went out and has stayed out. Mission accomplished.

Has anyone here actually "needed" to replace a newer gen PCV? Filter, wires and plugs sound like excellent preventive and curative maintenance. good to hear that solved the probably sucky idling as well. BTW, I like that when torqued properly, the plugs are pretty much naturally indexed (electrode facing exhaust valves) within a couple degrees :cool:

Has anyone here actually "needed" to replace a newer gen PCV? Filter, wires and plugs sound like excellent preventive and curative maintenance. good to hear that solved the probably sucky idling as well. BTW, I like that when torqued properly, the plugs are pretty much naturally indexed (electrode facing exhaust valves) within a couple degrees :cool:

(its called a tuneup) :-p

Yes lots of people have changed PCV valves here. Usually its oil consumption as the reason.

nipper

(its called a tuneup) :-p

Yes lots of people have changed PCV valves here. Usually its oil consumption as the reason.

nipper

ok. It's probably an "inspect" as far as a tuneup goes. they just aren't replaced that much on "healthy" engines? I guess it's so cheap and easy-why not eh? Inspect every two years or something?