Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For anybody out there that doesn't think I'm crazy for wondering about this...

I was thinking about if it would be possible to do some powdercoating or other on my 96 OB wheels so they would be gunmetal on the "spokes" and the brushed aluminum on the rim only...

Any opinions? It's just a general idea as of right now, but if it would be an easy job with the potential of looking good, well then I would seriously consider it.

Think about it, and if anyone has already tried this and succeeded/failed, then definitely let me know.

eag

For anybody out there that doesn't think I'm crazy for wondering about this...

I was thinking about if it would be possible to do some powdercoating or other on my 96 OB wheels so they would be gunmetal on the "spokes" and the brushed aluminum on the rim only...

Any opinions? It's just a general idea as of right now, but if it would be an easy job with the potential of looking good, well then I would seriously consider it.

Think about it, and if anyone has already tried this and succeeded/failed, then definitely let me know.

eag

How aboutt hose of us who think your crazy?

The old addage comes to mind, with enough cash all things are possible

nipper

How aboutt hose of us who think your crazy?

The old addage comes to mind, with enough cash all things are possible

nipper

Those of you that think I'm crazy just might be the smartest people in here...

I guess coloring the wheels wouldn't be much help if they were muddy all the time (like they should be), but I'm looking for a cheap upgrade in wheels. If a new color looks good and gives a bit of new life to the car, than it works for me. Plus, richierich has it in the shop right now overhauling the top end. I think a new wheel style would go well with new headgaskets.

Those of you that think I'm crazy just might be the smartest people in here...

I guess coloring the wheels wouldn't be much help if they were muddy all the time (like they should be), but I'm looking for a cheap upgrade in wheels. If a new color looks good and gives a bit of new life to the car, than it works for me. Plus, richierich has it in the shop right now overhauling the top end. I think a new wheel style would go well with new headgaskets.

Only one way to find out, get out the yellow pages and call some powder coaters.

nipper

Good call...

What exactly are the wheels made of? (No only am I crazy, but I'm wheel composition ignorant as well).

My biggest question is, has anyone on this forum done this to their wheels? I don't want to spend the money if the wheels are going to end up looking like poo.

eag

Good call...

What exactly are the wheels made of? (No only am I crazy, but I'm wheel composition ignorant as well).

My biggest question is, has anyone on this forum done this to their wheels? I don't want to spend the money if the wheels are going to end up looking like poo.

eag

aluminum. And surprisingly powder coating is not that expenisve, but there may be some labor charges may apply.

http://www.finishing.com/Library/pennisi/powder.html

You're a good man nipper. I appreciate your help.

I think I'll find a good picture of my wheels and photoshop the darker spokes for a reference.

Personally, I think it'll look sweet, but then again, I am crazy.

a good succesful powder coat is all in the preperation.

nipper

the wheels have a problem with oxidizing at the bead area. Unless they're in good shape, it wouldn't be worth it. Otherwise it seems ike it would be a great idea

Sorry, but to clarify terminology... is the bead area the edge of the rim where the seal is created?

I was planning on leaving the outer rim how it is, no color, just the aluminum. Only the spoke areas would be colored...

The wheels are still in good shape, the only real problem area is the center cap on one wheel where the plastic(?) is showing through.

I sent an email to a local powdercoater. Hopefully he'll give me a quote, then I'll know for sure if it's possible to proceed. If it won't work, maybe I'll just throw on a set of gold daytons.

eag

In case you don't like it later start by just painting them. If it looks cool powder next year as the paint gets tired. One look I like on Subarus I saw on an older Legacy wagon. The guy had gotten what looked like American car steel wheels, painted to match the car, and put baby moon hubcaps on. I thought it looked kind of macho and probably did not cost a bomb in money, but I bet it took a lot of junkyard time.

Painting would be a good option, so long as removing the old paint didn't damage the original finish of the wheels... if I don't like it, I could just remove it. But I'd probably have to mar up the finish in order to the paint to adhere?

I'm surprised so many people are actually helping me with this! USMB is... awesome.

Before I paint I like to clean with Scotchbrite and Tide. Since we can't see your wheels I'm not sure if this is an improvement or not. Some old wheels are quite grubby, especially the alloy ones.

When I get my car back from the shop, I'll take some pics and figure out what the best course of action is. I'll definitely update the post when I get the pics taken...

Painting would be a good option, so long as removing the old paint didn't damage the original finish of the wheels... if I don't like it, I could just remove it. But I'd probably have to mar up the finish in order to the paint to adhere?

Yeah, painting would be a good choice. IIRC most OEM wheels are clear coated anyways. You could rough the surface with a scotchbrite as mentioned by cookie, shouldn't get the aluminum at all. To remove the paint later without doing any damage, use brake fluid. I'd try soaking a rag in it & laying the wheel flat w/ the rag on it. This WILL take it clean down to the aluminum. If you don't like it, strip the wheels, then recoat with clear. No harm , no foul.

The corrosion in the bead can be taken care of with a round file & elbow grease. Don't try to cut it, just knock off the high spots. Then use a GOOD wheel cleaner to clean up the rest.