Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stalling soob with CEL and codes to help diagnose

left my house and the speedometer didn't work but everything else was fine so i kept driving. the tachometer worked fine. then it stalled a couple times, usually while decelerating it seemed, but could have been a coincidence. one time it stalled, just prior to stalling the RPM's were bouncing all over the place...though the engine obviously wasn't doing that. the check engine light came on briefly then went out before i could check it real-time.

since i've owned it, it's had a very random stutter. driving along at low speed, highway speed, or accelerating, anytime really. it would have a very quick 1 second stutter and keep trucking along, no check engine lights.

codes from read memory mode were: 32, 33, 35, 42, 51

32 Oxygen sensor or circuit

33 Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or circuit

35 Canister purge solenoid or circuit

42 Idle switch or circuit

51 Neutral switch (manual transmission)/inhibitor switch (automatic transmission)

i'll address all of these, but since i'm supposed to drive a few hundred miles tomorrow, which of these could/would cause the stalling issues?

O2 and vehicle speed sensor are not likely to be the culprit.

canister purge solenoid or circuit, that doesn't sound like it would either.

so 42 and 51 most likely?

TPS is sounding suspicious?

You said the tach started jumping all around... the only time I've had that happen was when the distributor was going out/already dead :banghead:

I hope that is isn't it, but you might want to throw a spare one in your car before your trip tomorrow.

It sounds like the car started back up after it stalled?

-Dave

i replaced the speedo cable yesterday...it was actually twisted and seized instead of snapped. anyway, car hasn't stalled since. so either i haven't driven it enough yet or the speedo cable solved the stalling issue. time will tell. my last auto AWD XT6 i put 20,000+ miles without the speedo hooked up and never had any issues, so i can't imagine this would solve it?