Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seeking sage advise o learned and wise ones!

jonas

started up the '81 brat today. been a long time. forgot how peppy the motor was. a real leaker, carb is crap but ran like a top when on the road. got me thinking of swapping motor into my '84 wagon instead of going CCR. the brat motor has 187,171. was wondering if i do this, should i replace head gaskets while out even tho i have no current issues? my basic school of thought is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. on the other hand with those miles (daily driver btw) am thinking i'm just looking for trouble sooner than later thinking i'll just start getting five and dimed. now if i do CCR i could have a motor that will hold on for many more years. damn i hate being poor and cheap!!!

Since that motor is either an EA81 or EA71 i would say dont bother with headgaskets. Its the EA82's that are known for headgasket issues. If its not leaking now chances are it wont. My advice is when you have it out to replace all the gaskets (valve cover, oil pan, oil pump, rear main). If i missed any someone else can chim in. Also you may want to replace the oil pump if its the original. If the water pump feels like there is play in the shaft replace that too.