Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifted GL for Dayly driver

Does anyone use their off road lifted subie as a daily driver, if i decide to put all this time and money into this vehicle i for sure ,want to proudly drive it in to town to show it off, certianly not on a trailer, are there any stability problems , or stupid cops tickiting you for wrong height bumpers, any thaughts or expirence would be greatly apreciated....this site rocks, thanks in advance....Ivan

Just like any other vehicle it depends on how you build it. More off-road capability = less on-road driveability. Fact of life. Everyone starts out with your idea, but very shortly abandons it. The mileage sucks, the power sucks, and you have to worry about breaking it when you take it out to the trail. You will quickly adopt the same policy - I guarantee it.

GD

I drive both of mine as DD's. Of course I have enough vehicles that if I do break something I have a back up. GD is correct about power, economy, comfoft etc, they all go down hill very quickly. However, the pride of driving that thing through town makes up for most of that stufff :headbang: . Tim

I commute 1.5 hours a day in my 4" lifted loyale. I've gotten critical comments from police, but no fix it tickets. If I had the EA82, it would suck. With the EJ, it drives fairly normal. Stability isn't a problem, it handles as well as you could need. Milage is a consistant 23mpg, remember to recalculate your odometer reading to compensate for the larger tires.

Keep lots of spare parts if you need quick turnaroud between a wheeling trip and a commute. If I wanted the expense of haveing a separate wheeling rig or commuting rig, I wouldn't have a subaru for the trails for sure. Just take it easy when you're driving around the woods.

I've been driving lifted rigs for quite awhile.

Harrassment by the police seems like it occurs mostly if you have other issues that are attracting them, such as chunks of mud and dirt falling off, bashed up body parts with broken or missing lights and mudflaps. Loose or loud exhaust. Welded rearend with loud tire squealing as you turn around a corner.

Bumper height depending on the state is usually based on the tonnage of the vehicle. I haven't checked it but I believe even Subaru with an 8" lift still sits low enough to be legal.

If your rig looks decent and you don't drive in a manner to attract anyone, I don't think you would have a problem.

Rollie

I daily drove a lifted subaru for almost exactly a year. I didn't stop because of driveability, but because I built my loyale which is just more fun to drive on the street....then replaced my lifted subaru with something a little more offroad capable.

anyway, I was very happy with mine. my black wagon was a little scary on a bumpy freeway, it's amazing how much power steering helps keep things stable. with worn-out shocks, no sway bars, and the higher center of gravity...

but, I still got pretty good mileage. on the local highways and county roads around my parents' house where most of the time is spent at ~60mph, 25mpg or higher was pretty common. it got pretty crappy mileage in town, since it had to work so hard to accelerate....more like 18mpg. and at 75+, 23-25 was possible, as long as you don't try to use 5th gear.

it's not a race car, so you really can't drive it like it is one....but I thought it felt more stable and safe then your average SUV.

and you just can't beat the looks :headbang:

My 85 hatch is my current daily ride. No mudders or crazy mods, just a stock EA81 hatch with a 3" lift and 15" pug alloys. It does just fine on pavement and is capable enough offroad for a quick run up a gravel road. Just don't expect to thrash on the trails if you want to drive it to work on Monday...

My lifted 86 GL10 will be a DD. It has a 4" PK lift, XT6 20mm sway bars (maybe run a 19 in the front), XT6 strut rods, 5-lug conversion (XT6), new GR2s all around, WRX springs in the front, EJ22 conversion, digidash>>>analog dash swap, XT6 seats, 15" Legacy alloys w/ 235/75/R15 tires... Not done yet but close... It's intended for traveling and mixed use, rather than only mud or only asphalt.

My lifted 86 GL10 will be a DD. It has a 4" PK lift, XT6 20mm sway bars (maybe run a 19 in the front), XT6 strut rods, 5-lug conversion (XT6), new GR2s all around, WRX springs in the front, EJ22 conversion, digidash>>>analog dash swap, XT6 seats, 15" Legacy alloys w/ 235/75/R15 tires... Not done yet but close... It's intended for traveling and mixed use, rather than only mud or only asphalt.

Wow.. you have any photos of your progress on that?? sounds interesting....

Although I must say I would prefer your entire setup, sans lift and tall tires.. of course, the driveline is probably far from ideal of a street car, if that is how you are building it.

Adding sway's to a lifted rig is going to severely limit the suspension from flexing off-road. I run NO sway on my lifted wagon, and while it does affect the freeway handling, the added offset of the Chevy rims and wide tires help it quite a bit. Plus I could really care less as it's only street use is to and from trails/mud/snow, etc.

If you are only doing a mild lift, etc you could use it as a daily. But one would still wonder why? Why not have a more serious machine, and use a stock soob as your daily? The added reliability, driveability, and mileage is very nice, and owning two soobs of similar vintage is not that difficult as you only need one parts stash. Besides that, even the best built off-road GL suffers from the same 20 year old car syndrome that every other GL still on the road suffers from.

I've said it before: If you are going to drive old cars, own at least two (prefereably three), and have a premuim AAA membership. That goes for ALL old cars, not just soobs.

If all you care about is impressing people that are impressed by such things as a lifted Subaru, then I'm probably the wrong guy to talk to. Basically anyone that I would consider worth impressing wouldn't care what I drive. And personally I'm rarely impressed by other people's vehicles either. It simply is not a defining characteristic of importance. It is always, however, interesting to note the personality (or general lack of) of those who drive vehicles that are designed or built specifically to impress others.

GD

I just wanna Add that I have the Plan to lift one of my Wagons, and use it as my Daily Driver, but just a Mid Lift.

I planned that `cos I travel too much to a High Mountains` Towns, etc, but that`s not Absolutely "Off Road" conditions, there are Roads, but unpavemented and Big Rains damage `em too much in some Stages of the Year.

Also I drive too much on HighWays, to other Countries too...

My plan is now Stopped, due to the Lack of Money, but still is my Plan... So I`ll continue it As Soon as Posible.

so this Thread is So Helpful for me. :)

Thanx!

i want to make a mild 3 inch lift, i dont care about comfort or speed, subie drivers do it slow and good..i didnt know a loyale was a good choice for lifting... may give that a try, i kinda had my heart set on a two speed transfer case, im still lookig for that perfect project car, my two drivers are a 86 gl and a 92 loyale, but all i come accross are two wheel drive cars, ill have to bite the bullit and spend the big money, and get a 4x4, thanks for the info, you guys rock, my wife thinks im crazy "obsessed" glad to see theirs more subie owners out their .. :headbang: you guys rock

heres a quote from www.sjrlift.com web site

StoreCar.jpgThese componants are designed to increase offroad performance, they should be used with a well thought out and engineered Vehicle design plan,We assume no responsibility for any accident, harm or personal injury that may come from their use on customer's vehicles here forth. you're the builder,

i want to make a mild 3 inch lift, i dont care about comfort or speed, subie drivers do it slow and good..i didnt know a loyale was a good choice for lifting... may give that a try, i kinda had my heart set on a two speed transfer case, im still lookig for that perfect project car, my two drivers are a 86 gl and a 92 loyale, but all i come accross are two wheel drive cars, ill have to bite the bullit and spend the big money, and get a 4x4, thanks for the info, you guys rock, my wife thinks im crazy "obsessed" glad to see theirs more subie owners out their .. :headbang: you guys rock

GLs did get a 2-speed transfer case ;)

and the tranny is an easy swap into a loyale....

I think a lifted subaru is one of the best cars you could own. while I had it, it was my only car...it only left me stranded a couple times, and rarely because of offroading carnage, but just from old age maintenance issues.

Up until I began the never-ending motor swap, I drove my Brat on a daily basis. 35mi commute, another 30 or so on the job, then 35 back home. 6" lift, on 30" A/Ts. Hell, even loaded up my old Altima on the race trailer and yanked it around a bit with the ute. Of course it handles much differently than stock, and different still from other cars, but its something you can adapt to quickly. Daily (ab)use is no biggie.

As GD said above, it still suffers from the 20 year syndrome...

Once I get my new longer wheel studs in, I can finish the disc swap, re-tune the weber and get back to running it regularly. :)

I drive my 87 GL daily. Its got an AA 4" lift with AA wheels and 29s. I converted the carbby ea82 to SPFI and I drive it to work and such all the time. I love the look, and being a car guy I love to show off. A Jeep guy at my work always tries to challenge me, saying he has more lift. We measured at the lowest point and we have the same clearance! (14") I also have the D/R the LSD and I chose to keep my sway bar in the front. I did intend to build this car mostly as a winter car and a slight off roader as I only really get out to the trails 3 times a year. I also get descent MPG... 26 in 2wd, >20 in 4wd Lo:lol: but the EFI has been a PITA with the cold recently and I've been meaning to see if there are any codes.:dead:

but the EFI has been a PITA with the cold recently and I've been meaning to see if there are any codes.:dead:

Also might adjust the TPS.. there is a "range" where it is still within spec, and I would imagine that having your TPS towards the lean side of that "range" might help your fuel economy, but with denser air from winter temps, might over lean you out??

just a thought, figured I would throw it out there.

GLs did get a 2-speed transfer case ;)

Well - technically no. "transfer case" denotes a seperate entitiy (or at least something that bolts to the end of the "transmission") that is responsible for transfering power from said transmission, to the front and rear wheels.

What the GL "transmissions" have is 5 forward speeds, and a high/low range selector. Or your could say they have 10 forward speeds and 2 reverse. They do not have a 2 speed transfer case.

They do have an "extension housing" that flows power to the rear wheels that could *loosely* be called a transfer case. But it's a lot more integral to the tranny than most typical transfer cases are.

It's better to call it an "integrated transaxle". It better describes the format.

GD

Well - technically no.

It's better to call it an "integrated transaxle". It better describes the format.

GD

Yup. Which brings up a slighly off topic question -- does anyone have experience with the 4x4 Chevy LUV trucks? I was reading that they did not have a separate transfer case either, unlike most the small 4x4 trucks. I was wondering if they are a design similar to the subaru or what? I've never actually seen one.

On the daily driver question -- depends on what your daily driving involves. Mine often involves going up occasional dirt roads, lots of gravel roads, and occasional bashing through snowdrifts in the winter. I've bashed the oil pan off my VW rabbit doing what I would call routine driving. A stock subaru does fine most the time, but a 2 or 3" lift and some 14" wheels would be nice. If you are having a separate rig that you only take offroading, that's different, especially if you tow it to the trailhead. And if your daily driving is only on highways, a subaru isn't ideal. But if your work and house and neighbors and such take you on less than ideal quality dirt roads every day, I think a lifted subaru is a great.

My lifted 86 GL10 will be a DD. It has a 4" PK lift, XT6

sounds awsome, i live in a rural area and i have two kids, need a 4 seat 4 door, i sure dont want to drop 40.k on a stupid truck im gonna tear up any way, i may look for parts to convert my 86 gl, just in case i screw it up, its not as prety as the 92 loyale, and its only a 4door sedan, not as cool as a wagon

I'm getting very close to having it movable. I have to bleed the brakes, finish the dash swap (not starting it without gauges!) and at least crimp in the EJ harness. I have been itching to show it off for a while!

The tire size will cut down on its streetability a little, but I'm not going crazy with them and it'll have the EJ's 135hp and the RX trans so I can kick the gear ratio down a little bit when I need a boost :brow: I want it to be not an offroad-capable but a trail-capable car, that is mostly for street use and maybe autocrossing later. I'm willing to compromise on some characteristics to achieve that, and it explains why I'd choose sway bars over suspension articulation. The tires I have on it now are Cooper Discoverer Radial LTs in 215/75 r15... I found them on Craigslist for the right price and may very well choose a different tire and/or size later this year.

Plus, I don't want to have to deal with the repair needs of an off-roader - I've never wanted an offroader. I want a traveller.

I haven't taken any photos because my garage is too small to get any sort of an angle on it.. plus I've only recently gotten a camera that is worth a darn! I hope to be done with all of the major remaining work sometime in March.

Wow.. you have any photos of your progress on that?? sounds interesting....

Although I must say I would prefer your entire setup, sans lift and tall tires.. of course, the driveline is probably far from ideal of a street car, if that is how you are building it.