Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Subaru day!

DaveT

Due to lots of things, I have to keep my very rusty 90 Loyale running a bit longer. Almost 200K miles.

Emissions test due. The catalytics burned out a year or so ago, probably by the quart per week oil consumption. (another long story..) So I scrounge up a Y pipe & middle pipe from my stash of spare parts. After vacuuming the mouse nest out of the Y pipe and patching a couple of small holes, bolt everything on. Run the car to get the cats hot, temperature probe shows first cat working, second not.

Oh well, I'm out of time.

Went to the test place this morning, and PASSED! With wide margin!

Now it's good for 2 years, probably fall apart before that.

but you can make it Last Longer, Fixin´ it up.

It has *major* rot from road salt. Hard parts are all pretty good or better. I have an 87 GL wagon with NO rust. I am adding the 4WD parts to it. That one should be around for 10 years or so. Parts from the 90 will live on in the 87 or the 92. The 92 is near the border line of work to save or forget it and get another no rust to keep nicer longer. Around here, (CT) once you let the rust start, it is near impossible or a ton of work to stop. Since I spent the last 14 years building our house and maintaining the one we were living in I didn't spend as much time on the cars as I should have to keep the going indefinately.

The tradeoff: loose the cars to rust and get into the house & loose the mortgage faster. Now debt free, one house, 3 cars, 1 big tractor, 1 car in "restoration".

Now that the house (http://home.comcast.net/~davidtief/house.html) is nearing completion, I am starting to deal with cars more.

By next winter, the garage will have the radiant floor heat hooked up.:)

I can testify to what CT road salt does to cars ....quick...but if you look at my 92 Loyale (202K miles)you would find it alittle hard to realize it spent almost its entire life between Delaware,PA and CT...CT being most of the last 4 years.I usually take 1 day...2 times a year and touch up spots...plus I would take it frequently to rinse the road salt off.I have been running my rusty ( could be worse ) XT6 cause of brake issues on the Loyale.but have plans on/and am in the prosses of cutting and welding and patching and preventing more rust from happening.

As for emmissions...good old Bucky has always passed with usually lower then hybrids emmissions...motor runs like a champ and feels like it could easily go another 100K...but I am spoiled with the XT6 right now ;) vroom vroom is more fun then putt putt:grin:

yeah Connecticut sucks for road salt. My 83 needs to get some rust work done. It was starting to rot in front of the rear wheel and i dont have time or money to fixe it right so i cut out what i could and POR 15'd it. Its holding well i would say and should get me through till spring or summer when i have the funds to throw at it again. :)

Thank you. Yes, I drive (operate) the tractor. And repair it - it isn't needy that way however. We bought the Dynahoe near the end of the project - but by then, I had enough experience to know it was the right machine for my situation. It's a great help disassembling cars also. (I save all the good parts).

well its better to have it running right... but if not, something we can do here is put the location of use as an address outside the emissions boundry here, even if the other two locations are inside of that. I don't know if you can do that there.

Nice house... what kind of acreage do you have?

well its better to have it running right...

[snip]

Nice house... what kind of acreage do you have?

Slightly over 2.75. I agree, better to have them running right. The test always seem to be at the least convinient times. There is no way to get out of it around here - except wait for the car to be 25 years old.:)