Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New with a lot of questions!

Hello all!

I have just re-acquired a 1986 Brat.

I purchased the Brat quite a few years back and loved it. When my sisters youngest son was ready for his first car he was in love with it also and I gave it to him. He however didnt take care of it and blew the engine.

After the car sat for almost a year, my sister purchased a engine from some place in LA (Rising Sun or some such place) for him to install. He got it most of the way in and then quit. It then sat for another year nad a half.

I purchased it back from him (for a large pizza) and its now in my driveway again.... this is where the questions start!

Is there anything special I should do to the engine before we attempt to fire it after all this time? Already plan to oil it up and spin it by hand before we try to fire it, but didnt know if the Subaru engine wanted anything special.

Parts.. where do you find them? I see from another post that I missed a free 84(?) brat that was close to me! Other than junkyards, do the dealers still carry parts?

Tires. Are there any traction tires in the factory size? In the past we always ran Big-O tires because of the lifetime road hazard warranty. When we went off-roading we always cut the sideways up so this worked out well!

Anyway, I will have plenty of questions in the future I'm sure but thats all I will throw out for now! Here are a few pictures of it before I cleaned it up. It had moss all over it and was very dirty!

home3.jpg

home2.jpg

This was before I gave it away at Hollister Hills in Norcal, on an obstacle called the frame twister. No one there thought the Brat could make it through but it did!

home4.JPG

I remember that picture! I found your site a while back when I was looking for a compressor (got a Tornado III for a good price).

Anyways, decent traction tires are difficult to find in 13". Look for Peugeot 505 wheels in 14" or 15", or modify hubs or wheels so you can use 6-bolt Toyota wheels (or something else same bolt circle). Engine can be cranked for a bit with the main coil wire removed and plugs out to get the oil circulating.

Go ahead and get a lift for it, and a 5spd dual range tranny, then take it back to frame twister and see what it'll reallt do!

I remember that picture! I found your site a while back when I was looking for a compressor (got a Tornado III for a good price).

Anyways, decent traction tires are difficult to find in 13". Look for Peugeot 505 wheels in 14" or 15", or modify hubs or wheels so you can use 6-bolt Toyota wheels (or something else same bolt circle). Engine can be cranked for a bit with the main coil wire removed and plugs out to get the oil circulating.

Go ahead and get a lift for it, and a 5spd dual range tranny, then take it back to frame twister and see what it'll reallt do!

If you do that, don't forget to weld up the rear-diff. IT'S A MUST!

The air compressor comparison had a huge response, I am actually gathering more compressors to do a second round of tests.

I'm sure mods will follow, but for now I just want to get it back on the road and running / reliable again. I ran it for a number of years without a hickup, and I want it there again.

It may take some time to get it done (I'm swamped as always) I also plan on adding a Subaru section to the site with write-ups.

what are those yellow seats from?

The factory seats were missing, those are RCI racing buckets. I also have covers (black sides with a yellow stripe down the middle) that go on them. There were 5 point seatbelts but they will have to be replaced as they were molded and severly weathered. I put them in when I originally purchased the car about 12-13 years back. The seats are still in fine condition.

I've got a bud that owns a small auto repair shop in Santa Rosa, and whenever he's needed parts for my '83 wagon, we've always found them at Smothers. A few times we were lucky to get some oddball parts from Prestige Imports (aka Hansel Subaru?) in Santa Rosa (closer to his shop).

I have the stock 13" wheels on my rig, and run snow tires all year. There are getting to be fewer and fewer brands of snows available in the 185-70-13 size, but still have no trouble getting at least some kind of snow tires around here (Tahoe).

I've got a bud that owns a small auto repair shop in Santa Rosa, and whenever he's needed parts for my '83 wagon, we've always found them at Smothers. A few times we were lucky to get some oddball parts from Prestige Imports (aka Hansel Subaru?) in Santa Rosa (closer to his shop).

I have the stock 13" wheels on my rig, and run snow tires all year. There are getting to be fewer and fewer brands of snows available in the 185-70-13 size, but still have no trouble getting at least some kind of snow tires around here (Tahoe).

How do the snow tires last on the dry road? I had a set on an wagon that were studded but they were shot on the road in just a few hundred miles!