Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 Wagon almost done

ShawnW

Finally drove it up and down the street tonight. Temp tags, ins, and alignment tomorrow if I can pull it off I will take it for the snow run this weekend.

Purchased 1 day after WCSS3 in 2001.

EA81T---->Ej22

3AT 4wd--->4spd D/R--->3.7 RX FT4wd trans

3" PK/BYB---->4" frame lift kit

Drum-->Disc brakes rear

1 pc driveshaft

Heat baked torn up stock seats--->Saturn front seats

Pushbutton AM/FM---->Pioneer CD player

No power windows to power to not powered again. :)

Has been worked on in WA, 3 places in Iowa, 2 places in Colorado...towed approx 5K miles.

Still to go:

Dual range lever

diff lock switch

tidy up wiring rats nest under dash

EMISSIONS :( "sad panda"

For the DR lever, add 1" to the stock 4 speed rod and it should pin right up to the 5 speed. Works great in my Brat. And the completely stock look is nice.

Double check that 1" is what you need though as with the EJ, it might be slightly different. Did you use Jerry's cross-member or something of your own design?

I might be tempted to try and put the diff lock switch somewhere else if I were you.... maybe on the side of the shifter, or on the dash, or even the steering wheel. Just a thought.

GD

What does the EJ sound like with just the Y pipe?My ej swap is really close to being done-few things more to the motor,ie powersteering belt,alternator bolts,Bolt in mpi fuel pump,insert stripped EJ harness into EA car,make the adapter plate out of metal,and put the engine in...but it might be running around with just the y pipe for a bit...How loud is it?

• 2 weeks later...

So...

Replaced Fuel tank. Original had completely rusted internally from sitting so long. Rookie mistake for sure....I had filled it at one time to prevent this but I didn't catch it early enough.

Old fuel had turned BRIGHT red.

Passed Emissions!!! I pulled into the Emissions testing facility and they have you pop the hood. I expected some sort of UHM?!?! but nothing. The guy looked at the engine compartment for almost 3 minutes and then walked over to me slowly. Oh @%$! I was thinking. His only statement was "damn that is a clean engine" and he shut the hood.

Car fast passed in 90 seconds, the guy said it was the only car all day to do that that wasn't an OBDII.

Ive got 2 CEL codes to eliminate but for now the car is running great. I think its safe to sell the hatchback now.

Yeti: Lets make the tunes improve. I gotta drown out some engine noise. :) Oh and maybe...a little "paint" touchup? :)

On my hatch the guy that inspected under the hood insisted that I had plugged off the Air Suction valves or something because the idle was far too smooth...he had owned one of the exact car before and "knew something was up".