Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wiring Questions for those in the know

Uberoo

I got my harness back from noah but theres some things I am unsure of.I tried to ask him but I havent gotten a response.Today I found out the rear pads on my saab are shot and I can drive about a mile before they start tearing my disks apart so I need to get my subaru running.Engine is 1990 Ej22.Ok heres what I got maybe you can help:

1.the ECU memory wire:Does it just go to the + side of the battery?Is it fused?If so how much?

2.Temp/oil sender wires:Since I am running separate gauges do I need to leave those in the harness or can I cut them out?

3.Alternator wire: on the white shielded wires that go from the alternator to the battery,There is a black/grey connector with both shielded wires going into it.Do I splice that into the wire/s on the EA alternator harness or does it plug in somewhere?Car is a 1987 Gl wagon.

well, the memory wire needs unswitched 12v power. get it however you like. I would put a fuse in it, pretty much any amount. the ECU only uses a tiny trickle of power, but the fuse is nice to prevent shorts and fires...

I have one wire that goes from the battery to the Main relay on the EJ harness, that powers the entire EJ harness. I just tapped into this wire before the relay and went to the memory wire. I've got a 20a (or maybe 25..but I don't think so) fuse in line with that wire, and I have not blown it.

I was talking to tex about this last night, and if you've got one wire powering the entire EJ harness, you can splice a switch instead of your ignition switch to control your Main relay. this does 2 things, if you give it power all the time (I spliced it into my radio's memory wire), that means the main relay, and therefore the entire engine, can still get power with the key out of the ignition. That means you can let the car idle to warm up, but without the key, you've got no accessories (headlights, horn, heat, radio...anything), and no steering. and if you leave the starter wire hooked to the ignition switch, you need the key to start it.

it also acts as a kill switch, so even if someone gets into your car with the key, they have to know about the switch for it to run...

sorry...that's not directly related to your question...but it's an interesting idea. and I'd highly recommend wiring it that way!

I'd leave the sender wires in the harness....in fact, you could probably use the stock temp sensor and wire for your gauge. but even anyway...it's 2 wires. and if, at some point down the road, you decided you want to use them....they're there.

not sure what you're asking about the alternator, and I also have no recollection of wire colors. but basically, if you're running the engine straight from the battery, there's no need for the alternator to be wired directly into the EJ harness....it's just there to keep the battery charged. so splice the EJ plug into the EA harness....and you're set.

so just a 2 way toggle,fused 25A in between positive battery and ECU memory wire.I will try that.Then just connect grounds to something.

How are voltmeters/ammeters wired in?Just the wire for the gauge from Alt or is there special sender.

My car has a switch controlling the fan.It gets a signal wire from the coil so it can only be on when coil is energized.The EJ doesnt have a coil.What could I wire that signal wire to so fan is only on when engine is on or in accessory position?

so just a 2 way toggle,fused 25A in between positive battery and ECU memory wire.I will try that.Then just connect grounds to something.

How are voltmeters/ammeters wired in?Just the wire for the gauge from Alt or is there special sender.

My car has a switch controlling the fan.It gets a signal wire from the coil so it can only be on when coil is energized.The EJ doesn't have a coil.What could I wire that signal wire to so fan is only on when engine is on or in accessory position?

nope, no switch on the memory wire. that needs unswitched power. if you want the switch, you use the same wire from the battery to the main relay. and manually activate the relay. if you have a wire JUST for the memory wire, I bet a 2a fuse would be plenty.

the voltmeter doesn't have a sender or anything. it'll read the same no matter how you hook it up, as long as it has power. so you don't have to do any messing with this wire. as long as the EA harness has power.

doesn't matter what wire you use for the fan switch. anything that uses switched power. there's one for the radio already in the console, the entire EJ harness is laced with wires with switched power, any one of them will do, or, you could go straight to the source at the ignition switch.

you shouldn't have to mess with the charge light. it should remain integrated into the EA harness....

the in dash volt meter doesn't have it's own wire. it just measures the voltage coming into the cluster.

I have no idea about the other 2, get yourself a chiltons manual and look them up. that's how I did it.

there are dozens of wires in the dash that get 12v power. pick one. if you want the lights switched with the rest, find one of the backlights in the dash, and tap into that. get out your multimeter, and find one that has power when you want it, and use it.

• 2 weeks later...
which wire do I connect to ignition switch?I decided to go that way instead.I figure it would be nice to turn the key and have the engine start of the existing chassis wiring.

just the wire that switches the main relay. that should give power to the rest of your EJ harness, depending on how you have it wired.

and, a wire for the starter circuit. if you're using the EA starter relay/circuit (IMHO, this is the FAR easier way....), than you'll just need to tap in from between the switch and the relay for the ECU. if you're using the EJ starter relay, then you just need to tap into the switch.

which wire off the switch itself?I pulled the cover off the steering colum and there are two wires from the switch.Then Iam running the ea starter relay...

So for EA starter just tap in between ignition switch and EA relay?If I had everything wired into the ignition switch wouldnt it give power to the whole ej harness?And the ea switch is connected to the EA relay.So one wire right?Or do I just know far less than I think I do?

just kinda rambling with a million subaru related stuff in my head.ie

why wont spacer on spindle play nice and let the axle pass through like it's supposed to.Or thinking I will install the new fuel pump.Where to get a tubing bender on the cheap(powersteering lines need adjustment to clear ej22).

all the way to bumper designs and lift kits...