Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 GL acceleration problem.

I have a 1981 Subaru GL Station Wagon 4 speed that doesn't want to go forward. It idles fine (I have new spark plaugs + wires, cleaned the distributor cap) and when I press on the gas pedal out of gear it revs normally. When I put it into first gear and press the gas I will be lucky if it doesn't stall, the engine stumbles and I really have to floor it to have any chance of going forward. If I do get it going then the car shakes through all the gears.

I had a mechanic look at it and he said that it was the carburetor so I found a pulled part. He took the two bad carburetors and made one good one.

The car has been out of commission for a few weeks now and I would love for nothing more than to get it working again, does anyone have any advice (besides junking it, lol)? Thanks.

I have a 1981 Subaru GL Station Wagon 4 speed that doesn't want to go forward. It idles fine (I have new spark plaugs + wires, cleaned the distributor cap) and when I press on the gas pedal out of gear it revs normally. When I put it into first gear and press the gas I will be lucky if it doesn't stall, the engine stumbles and I really have to floor it to have any chance of going forward. If I do get it going then the car shakes through all the gears.

I had a mechanic look at it and he said that it was the carburetor so I found a pulled part. He took the two bad carburetors and made one good one.

The car has been out of commission for a few weeks now and I would love for nothing more than to get it working again, does anyone have any advice (besides junking it, lol)? Thanks.

Did you change the fuel filter? Never junk a sube unlees you really have to because someone could allways use the parts. So before you junk it give it to me:rolleyes: Allso do a compression check on all cylinders and see if they are all close to each other. And then give it to me! LOL:lol:

I know of one fuel filter on this car. It is clipped onto the gas tank. I replaced that before the carb change and it did not seem to effect anything. I don't know if this car has a second fuel filter but I will check. The fuel pump is in the engine bay.

is your hill holder enabled? it might be holding the brakes on if it's out of alignment... have you tried starting from level ground without using your brakes at all?

I don't think that this model has a hill holder, it's actually the first time that I've ever heard of it. I've always rolled back on hills even with the clutch on the floor. Yes, It is currently in my garage on level ground.

So changing the carb didn't help at all?

Correct. It got me about twenty miles back to my house from the mechanic but after that I had the same problem. Apologies for not being clear in the first post.

okay... can you push your car? roll it around???

my first thought was binding brakes.......and since that masnt been mentioned, (and i didnt notice anything to prove me wrong) i figured I would throw it out there.

does the engine sound like its dying, or like its running into a brick wall?? (IE trying to move a car that is immobilized)