Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid Question

I am looking for a commuting car that has gas mileage. I currently am driving a 1986 GL Wagon. It seems to be easy to work on. How similar is a Justy? Anyone have an idea if I can get a Justy and put in a new engine. My car pool ends in 6 months. Thanks for any input. People here are always so helpful.

Justy is a totally differnt animal. If you can even find one, you need to get a stick. The justy is a in line engine, with (depending upon the year) complicated carb.

Personally i would love to find a 4wd Justy, but i do belive if you sit down and do the math, it may be cheaper to keep using what you are using in the long run.

nipper

I am looking for a commuting car that has gas mileage. I currently am driving a 1986 GL Wagon. It seems to be easy to work on. How similar is a Justy? Anyone have an idea if I can get a Justy and put in a new engine. My car pool ends in 6 months. Thanks for any input. People here are always so helpful.

That's not a stupid question at all. A stupid question is "Why is my car overheating, even after I put a new, non-subaru thermostat in." That's prettymuch what I did.

As for good gas mileage. I thought there's a lady on the board that was getting some great gas mileage in her ea82 wagon. bucky72 or something is her screen name.

That would be me.....I have a 92 Loyale wagon FWD 5 spd that gets 40+ highway miles...but that seems to be very common for the FWD 5 spd cars I have found out... If you are looking for strickly a good gas mileage communter the FWD models are fantastic...you still get the room and ease at the pump...Just keep them tuned up and dont drive them too hard. Also..with a set of good all weather or snows on the front they are very very good in bad weather

I had a 90 Justy FWD 5 spd a few years for a paper delivery car and have to say...it was a great car but like stated...finding parts can be a challenge sometimes...I dont know how it is out there but here on the rust coast..they are getting very very hard to come by

Pardon my ignorance but does the 92 Loyale Wagon have an EA82 engine? Is it SPFI or MPFI? I like the wagon I have, maybe I should work on putting a newer engine in it.

Yup my 92 Loyale is an EA82 SPFI with 202K miles on it.The big thing with the mileage is ...Is yours 4WD or FWD...is it AT or 5 Spd? Like I mentioned..there are others with the EA82 SPFI FWD 5 spd cars that are getting great gas mileage..some simple things to do to help improve yours are...good tune-up...everything plugs cap rotor wires...a new O2 sensor ( $20 at Advanced..something like that) make sure your tires are inflated right and you should see some improvement..Also dont drive it like you stole it;) ..I am running an 88 XT6 ( EJ27 5 spd full time 4WD ) and am pretty happy with the mileage...close to 27-30+ when I am not playing with it...when I am that mileage goes WAY down...but I am still havin fun:grin:

I have a 1986 4WD wagon. It is carbureted. I get 20-25 mpg. I drive it conservatively pretty much. Its fun to drive. Thanks for all the input everyone. As always, this group has been very helpful.

and there is the difference!

I also have an EA82 SPFI, 5spd, FWD wagon that gets darn good mileage considering i am pushing the 250K mark, and drive it like i stole it!! :lol: summer time i can average around 34mpg - winter time with warm up times it does drop, but still very reasonable. just imagine what i would get if i drove like a little old blue haired lady (not meaning you Connie! ;) ) but if i can get 34 driving hard (much more fun!) then i should realistically get much higher if i drove "nice" - right?

my automatic FWD SPFI gl-10 pulls around 26MPG, highway or city. I drive it like I stole it, first off the line at every redlight, (patiently, carefully, and with turn signals I) weave all through traffic, and judging by the "analog" air/fuel gauge (my exhaust leaks, and I can hear the mixture change as I punch the pedal :lol:) im always running rich just because of my foot on the pedal :grin:

Another thing that can be done to improve fuel mileage is to simply put slightly larger tires on your car... you will not notice the difference if you continure to calculate your mileage with your odometer, because your speedometer and odometer readings will be slightly off as a result; but you WILL save on gas. the flip side of this coin is that the car will be slower, but not too much.

Automatic transmissions take at LEAST as mush power to run as an Air Conditioner.... and even with a part time 4wd car, switched into FWD, it drags more on the engine and economy suffers. You might want to try advertising on the board, trying to find someone with a FWD soob that wants your 4wd drivetrain!

Then, look at GeneralDisorder's write up for converting the EA-81 to SPFI, and just swap SPFI onto your car. then you would have a FWD SPFI car capable of easily achieving 30-35MPG.

And I mean UTTERLY no offense to anyone on the forum, but I will echo things that I have heard before when I say that hearing a claim of 40+mpg in an ea82 makes me question the calculations.. tire sizes, actual refill volumes, proper calibration of the tires size vs the odometer...... there really are about seven or eight different places to make a mistake. However, I am also UTTERLY incapable of driving as if there was an egg between my foot and the gas pedal, so I may be unfairly biased in this...

Also Out of wack Throttle positioning sensors for FI cars can murder gas mileage, mine, i adjusted way too far forward and it seriously used 1/8 of a tank of gas going 10 miles, i put it back just to the point where it would get dead spots accelerating, and put it forward a tiny bit, the car performs well and gets fairly decent mileage.

Also Out of wack Throttle positioning sensors for FI cars can murder gas mileage, mine, i adjusted way too far forward and it seriously used 1/8 of a tank of gas going 10 miles, i put it back just to the point where it would get dead spots accelerating, and put it forward a tiny bit, the car performs well and gets fairly decent mileage.

Not incredibly difficult to adjust to factory specs, and not increidlby difficult to change.. although changing to a new unit DOES involve disassembling the alternator/AC compressor from the engine (D'oh!)

PM me your email addy for a one page PDF from the FSM to adjust your TPS to factory specs. All you need to adjust it is a stubby phillips head, a multimeter (preferably with alligator clips on the leads,) some feeler gauges, and maybe an assistant. read it and check it out.