Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale tickinng sound coming from transmission?

Hello everybody, I'm new to this site and the forums are really a great help.

I own a 91' 5 speed 4WD loyale wagon. Having a bit of a problem. I noticed the right front side started clicking during acceleration up to about speeds of 35mph. So I took it to my local shop to have them check the axles and cv boots. They said that everything was solid and the axles were tight, he then recommended taking it to a transmission place to find out what the clicking is. Anyone have any idea? Is the transmission going south on me?

Thanks,

Mike

Does the sound change:

Under acceleration

Under deceleration

Change of engine RPM as opposed to road speed

Change speed as you change gears

Change when you go left or right

Change with the clutch depressed

Change with the car moving (in neutral)

Change in reverse.

nipper

Does the sound change:

Under acceleration

Under deceleration

Change of engine RPM as opposed to road speed

Change speed as you change gears

Change when you go left or right

Change with the clutch depressed

Change with the car moving (in neutral)

Change in reverse.

nipper

Under Acceleration- Yes, definitely, this is where all the clicking happens, starting from about 2000 rpm all the way up until I have to shift

Under Deceleration- No, not at all, as soon as I take my foot off the pedal it stops clicking.

I noticed it has mainly to do with 1-3rd gears, once I'm on the highway, no sound at all.

It seems to go at the speed of the wheel, with the clicking increasing as I increase speed.

Seems consistent on both left and right turns

When clutch is depressed, it completely stops clicking

When car is moving in neutral there is no click at all

No sound either when I go in reverse.

Mike

When was the last time hte car had a clutch done, or had the lubricants changed.

nipper

Honestly, I bought the car about four months ago, and I really have no history of the car.... so I'm not sure when all this was last changed, if ever. The clutch or lubricants have not been changed since I bought it.

Mike

can you give us a feel for the rythem of the clicking. Once every wheel revolution or more?

nipper

It sounds like the clicking is in sync with the speed of the wheel or axle... as I accelerate the clicking in turn speeds up. I took it to the shop yesterday and they said the axles where "solid", and they're not the problem. I might want to get a second opinion.

Mike

Since its wheel speed we can rule out the transmission gears, clutch, flywheel etc etc. Since its a 1 to 1 rotational noise We can also rule out the diff.

That leaves us the wheel bearings, brakes, axles (hub caps if you have them). Get a second opinion, and take the tech for a drive with you and show him the noise.

nipper

Since its wheel speed we can rule out the transmission gears, clutch, flywheel etc etc. Since its a 1 to 1 rotational noise We can also rule out the diff.

That leaves us the wheel bearings, brakes, axles (hub caps if you have them). Get a second opinion, and take the tech for a drive with you and show him the noise.

nipper

Right, thats kind of what I was thinking, cause the noise is coming from under the right wheel well. Yeah I'm gonna get a second opinion. Thanks for the help!!

Mike