Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4X4 is stuck

My 91 Loyale is stuck in 4WD. The 4WD dash light is illuminated and 4X4 is engaged and will not come out. I recently installed a new CD player with some complication. I burnt out the horn fuse which seems to be the seatbelt fuse too. I wondering is this is an electrical problem and/or what fuse I should be looking for??

Please help

did you burn out the horn fuse at the same time you installed the stereo?

did you rewire the speakers when installing the stereo? Subaru stock speakers are grounded funny and the installation of a non-Subaru head unit necessitates the rewiring of the speakers. That may have affected your electrical system somehow.

To disengage your 4WD, you must drive in a straight line, usually in reverse. Try going back and forth with the button in the disengaged position; it should hopefully pop out.

The 4WD system is not meant for use on dry terrain as the force each wheel is given is fixed - not responsive to turning when the wheels travel at different speeds. Also make sure all of your tires are inflated properly, have safe tread life remaining, and are the same kind - one manufacturer's version of the "right size" may be different from another manufacturer's version of same, and the 4WD system is sensitive to tire differences.

I was reading some of the posts here about rewiring the speakers. They said that since my Soob has no rear speakers that I probably do not have to rewire the speakers. As for the 4X4 I have tried driving back and forth with it the button disengaged with no luck. I don't know if the the stereo and the 4X4 problems are related but it sure is a conincidence. I just don't know why I could put in 4X4 but not get it out.

Take a look at your tires.

Are they

all the same size?

all worn to the same depth?

all inflated to the same pressure?

Any of these not being answered in the affirmative

can cause the 4WD to stick in 4WD.

Also check fuse #10 (since you do not grace us with the type of transmission I am quoting for an automatic)

This fuse operates the solenoids which switch

the 4wd in and out.

Fuse #12 lights the light on the dash.

Hope this helps.

Wheels and tires are all the same sized. Unit is a manual transmission.

Same size is not enough. They really need to be the same tires. Same manufacturer at least.

Can you find some Gravel, sand, mud, or snow? If you can get the tires to slip a bit, you may unlock them.

The other thing to check is the vaccuum connections to the two solenoids that operate the 4wd. They are in the engine comp. right by wiper motor area, drivers side. There is one hose comin from engine that should have Vacuum all the time with engine running, a good pull. follow all the other lines down to tranny and look for cracks, leaks. You can try bypassing those solenoids by hookin the vaccuum straight through each one. Not sure which is the engage/disengage. If all else fails try moving the lever on the side of the tranny by hand to disengage the 4wd.

Try the slippage thing first, that's the most likely thing. Then check vacuum, If bypassing the solenoid works then it's that solenoid. If it comes down to moving the lever by hand then it's probably the diaphram that operates the lever leakin.

Alright

I got the tires to slip with no luck. Still stuck. Where is the level on the side of the tranny. Is it something I can get to from under the hood? I need to first get it out of 4WD drive first then look into it more this weekend when I have time to bypass the solinoid. Where is this "lever" and is it as easy as turning a switch. Thanks everyone

So this is push-button 4WD ?

The lever should be on the front passenger side ??? I can't remember.

Drive it in circles in your yard, or just back and forth on the grass. Water the grass first for extra slippage. Or, if you can do it safely, lift all four corners of the car off of the ground and put it in gear, just let it idle, while you try to disengage it. If all else fails, take the rear half of the driveshaft off untill you get it sorted out.

here are the solenoids, hooked up normal http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Numbchux/PICT2412.jpg

here it is bypassedPICT2411.jpg

Bypassing solenoids is a matter of seconds. The vac hose that has the little oneway valve is the vacuum line(comes across engine bay,then loops down along bottom of pic) Pull the elbow off of at that valve. connect either of the two lines coming up out of the solenoids to the vacuum line. One of them should disengage the 4wd.

If that doesn't work, follow those 2 vacuum lines down to the side of the tranny. They go into a big UFO lookin diaphram. The diagphram operates the lever. You should be able to see the lever, but it may be easier to move from under the car.

Or, if you can do it safely, lift all four corners of the car off of the ground

You only have to raise one corner of the car to release all the tension in the driveline and allow it to pop out of four wheel drive (assuming the mechanism to pull it out of 4 wheel drive is working)

• 3 weeks later...