Ultimate Subaru Message Board

knock knock: who's there?

'89 gl ea82i think i have a knock. i just changed the oil pump cuz i was bored and my oil pressure seemed to be low. so... i'm bleeding the coolant and as the car warms up... a faint "knock knock knock" and as it gets warmer, it gets louder. at first I thought I left a belt tensioner loose so I took the covers off and checked. nope, they were fine. I find a 2x4 laying in the yard and press it against the driver side head and put my ear against it... "KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK". to make sure it was coming from the block itself, i put the piece of wood on several other parts of the engine and didn't hear it nearly as loud as through the block. the car suffered from TOD before the oil pump swap, but upon startup showed no signs whatsoever of ticking and had plenty of oil pressure. checked around the oil pump pretty gradually after letting it sit there and run for about 15 mins. no leaks. checked everything over a couple times, everything's good and tight. I hopped in the car and closed the door... and it was there, but I just never noticed it before. i guess it came kinda gradually.

is my soob gonna die? if i have spun a bearing, is there any way I could fix this without pulling the motor? and if there is wouldn't it just be easier to go ahead and pull it? should I just go ej22 and forget about it?:burnout:

1) Did you use any RTV or other silicone sealant?

2) How did you hold the "mickey mouse" gasket in place?

1) - if so some could have plugged up a passage

2) - it may have slipped and the pump is now sucking air

1) Did you use any RTV or other silicone sealant?

2) How did you hold the "mickey mouse" gasket in place?

1) - if so some could have plugged up a passage

2) - it may have slipped and the pump is now sucking air

yes, i used rtv but i only lightly coated the gasket enough to hold the gasket to the oil pump while i installed it. i'm pretty certain I didn't block a passage because I used so little... and it was making the noise before too, it was just not very noticeable from the inside of the car. but from the outside once it was warmed up, i noticed it. the last time i stood outside the car to listen for any strange noises was while it was cold... and it didn't seem to make the noise when it was cold. only when it's warmed up. and i'm using 10w-30 oil. do you think switching to maybe 15w-40 will keep it going until I can build a small shed to do engine work in? maybe a few weeks? it only has about 20 miles a day put on it. and i read somewhere that it may be possible to just pull the oil pan to do rod bearings? but i'm thinking it would just be easier to pull the engine.