Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was coming home the outher day and my 96 outback with 245,000 miles died at the intersection and wouldnt start back up.I checked the fuelpump and it was working but i wasnt getting any spark.I checked the coil and the primary resistance was a little high and the secondary was within range.is there a way to check the ignitor and will a 2.2 coil and ignitor work on a 2.5 motor?

If it does turn out to be the timing belt, do some compression and/or cylinder leakdown tests before going further (I'm assuming you have the 2.5L) since some valves may have gotten bent.
Leakdown might be a better choice than compression with a broken t-belt. :)

i took off the timing cover on one side and the belt was not broke.[...]
Try the diagnostic sequence in the link I gave above. If nothing's happening at the igniter input (ECU output), then do check cam and crank sensors.

Broke = jumped .

Double check that the timing is correct.

Did you reseal the engine when you did the HG. Did you use a new belt?

nipper

i will take off all the covers tommorow,i also used the old timing belt since it looked good.the oil leak is coming from one of the cam seals,i tried to fix it before but it has been leaking again.i need to get the car going before it starts raining again,ive had to ride the motorcycle till the car gets fixed.

Looking at a timing belt you cant tell if its good or not (well you can tell not). When was the last time it was replaced. ALso was the car leaking oil onto the belt?

nipper

there was oil in the timing cover,im not sure when the belt was replaced last last,i bought the car at 240,000 miles and now it has 245000

there was oil in the timing cover,im not sure when the belt was replaced last last,i bought the car at 240,000 miles and now it has 245000

Ok so history unknown. You have a rainsuit for the bike? Just in case you need a timing belt, then your going to have to doe seals etc etc....

the 2.2 needs a timing belt every 60,000 so either it should have been done at 240, or it is a newer 106,000 mile belt (which i doubt).

nipper

Ok so history unknown. You have a rainsuit for the bike? Just in case you need a timing belt, then your going to have to doe seals etc etc....

the 2.2 needs a timing belt every 60,000 so either it should have been done at 240, or it is a newer 106,000 mile belt (which i doubt).

nipper

my motor is a 2.5, will the 2.2 belt fit the 2.5?

my motor is a 2.5, will the 2.2 belt fit the 2.5?

oh ok my error for some reason i thought it was a 2.2

no it wont. Its jsut there has been some discussion here that we cant see subaru using one design requirement for one belt, and another for the 2.5. Maybe at one time they did, but now we arent sure.

nipper

i see where i got confused, its the first post. In order to just rule out a bad coil, i dont see why the chaining of the coil packs wouldnt work. If the car starts, and runs you may get lucky and it be ok to run, otherwise you know its the coil pack and get a propper 2.5 pack. Its hard to tell from the manual which on is a 2.2 or a 2.5, so it may not matter.

nipper

i see where i got confused, its the first post. In order to just rule out a bad coil, i dont see why the chaining of the coil packs wouldnt work. If the car starts, and runs you may get lucky and it be ok to run, otherwise you know its the coil pack and get a propper 2.5 pack. Its hard to tell from the manual which on is a 2.2 or a 2.5, so it may not matter.

nipper

i am going to double check the timing belt before i get a coil.they want 45 for a used i and 110 for a new 1.there is alot of subarus in the pic and pulls but they are all 2.2 motors and smaller.the 2.5 motors are rare.

ignition coil

subaru part # 22433aa400 .....................

fits:

Impreza, 2.2L 1995 – 1998;

Legacy 2.2L 1995 – 1998;

Legacy 2.5L 1995 - 1998

hope this helps. i have a new one if you need it, but i here they are pretty hardy items.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69773

i am going to double check the timing belt before i get a coil.they want 45 for a used i and 110 for a new 1.there is alot of subarus in the pic and pulls but they are all 2.2 motors and smaller.the 2.5 motors are rare.