Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying a 1984 DL on Sunday...what to look for?

It's a 1984 DL wagon. It's a five-speed. It's a rust-free car from AZ, and it "runs and drives great."

That being said, I don't know much about it. I'm going to pick it up Sunday. What are the most common mechanical issues with these cars? What should I keep my eye out for?

I'm plan to crawl under it. Oh, also, it's wrong-wheel-drive, if that makes a difference with mechanical issues. Are there any wear issues specific to older Subarus that I should keep an eye out for?

I'm plan to crawl under it. Oh, also, it's wrong-wheel-drive, if that makes a difference with mechanical issues. Are there any wear issues specific to older Subarus that I should keep an eye out for?

Wrong wheel drive??? I'm assuming by it being a 5spd you mean fwd, right?

With its age, shocks, axles, bushings, stuff like that could be on its way out, and maybe clutch depending on miles, the radiator could be getting corrosion depending on coolant type used,

Wrong wheel drive??? I'm assuming by it being a 5spd you mean fwd, right?

With its age, shocks, axles, bushings, stuff like that could be on its way out, and maybe clutch depending on miles, the radiator could be getting corrosion depending on coolant type used,

I meant FWD. As a DSM owner, i'm convinced two-wheel-drive is wrong-wheel drive, though.

Some of you may know the car from Erie Craigslist. The owner also has a five-speed converted turbo Legacy.

I plan on using it as a daily driver and road trip slut because of its gas mileage. I need new seats, dash, and console, so if anyone has beige interior parts, I will probably buy them.

By the way, the valves sound like a goddamned typewriter. My father had one years ago, and knows how to adjust the valves. He says that should fix the tick and get it more power. Is he right? Also, is this "tick of death" anything more than an annoyance, or is it actually harmful? I'm fairly certain I have it, and I find it somewhat endearing. :banana:

By the way, the valves sound like a goddamned typewriter. My father had one years ago, and knows how to adjust the valves. He says that should fix the tick and get it more power. Is he right? Also, is this "tick of death" anything more than an annoyance, or is it actually harmful? I'm fairly certain I have it, and I find it somewhat endearing. :banana:

No its not TOD. that happens mostly on ea82 cars. The one you have has solid lifters, that are very adjustable. And if they are really bad out of adjustment yes it could very well give you a little bit more power because it isn't opening the valves all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I've put 2,000 miles on it with no problems, but my friends think it's the ugliest car in the history of cars. The girlfriend says it goes, or I go. So it's unfortunately leaving me.

Maybe I can talk her into a coupe or sedan. :banana:

Update: I've put 2,000 miles on it with no problems, but my friends think it's the ugliest car in the history of cars. The girlfriend says it goes, or I go. So it's unfortunately leaving me.

Maybe I can talk her into a coupe or sedan. :banana:

Maybe I can take it off your hands. How much you wantin?

Or if you'd rather keep the car for a small fee the g/f can be eliminated...:grin:

Maybe I can take it off your hands. How much you wantin?

Or if you'd rather keep the car for a small fee the g/f can be eliminated...:grin:

She can cook her rump roast off, she stays.

I'm asking $1K because I wound up putting a $85 battery in it and a new Sony head unit, which I went through holy hell getting to work.