Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front bearings are driving me insane!

Today I decided I would get off my arse and change out the driver's side front axle.Ive had the axle out for like a month,and ive had the new axle sitting in the back for about 2 weeks.Anyway As i go to put the axle it it keeps getting hung up on the inner bearings.I try to put the bearings where they need to be but they just slide down to where the axle's splines get stuck on them.Help.What do

i do to get the bearings to stay where they need to be?

I'm not sure what you mean about the bearings moving? are you talking about the spacer in beween the 2 bearings?

I believe the problem is because you are installing a new axle. The axle shaft is supposed to fit VERY tightly inside the bearings. Actually it is pressed into the bearings from the factory. They wear a bit, so the old one slides out, but the new axle isn't worn so it needs pressed, or pulled through. Subaru mades a tool that pulls the axle through. Axle installer(922431000 or 925130000)

But you don't need it. First however you have to Unbolt the caliper and bracket and hang it with bungee, then pull the Disc/hub assm. carefully remove the outer bearing seal from knuckle. Put the axle through as far as you can. You should be able to get it to stick out just a couple threads past the face of the hub. use 2 short pieces of 1 in. angle iron to span across the bearing opening, either side of the axle shaft. You can even notch the sides of the irons about 1/2 to fit around the axle shaft. Then use a heavy washer and the axle nut to pull the axle through against the iron.

yea its the spacer.There seems to be alot of vertical play in the spacer.If I move the spacer upwards I can see a gap at the bottom of the spacer about 1/8",if I move it downwards I can just see the top of the spacer.I dont happen to have any metal and my socket for that size seems to have dissappeared.that and its sunday and I have no money.can't run to the bank....argh just as I try to actually get something done on my subaru I hit several snags...

Just replaced the drivers side bearings in my 87 Brat last week. Did exactly as described except I just used a claw hammer to pull the axle through by the axle nut with the front disc removed. It doesn't take a lot of force. Try smearing a thin layer of grease on the axle hub.

I was able to stuff various things against the spindle houseing and nut to pull it through.But then I couldnt get the DOJ to go on..

do I put the DOJ on first or the CV first..

DOJ to tranny spindle first, then reattach knuckle to ball joint, or strut, which ever you undid to swing the knuckle out.

I usually undo the lower control arm and sway bar bracket. Then I put the axle through the knuckle. I can then usually pull the entire knuckle far enough away from the car to get the DOJ slipped onto the transmission stub.

It sounds like your method should work if you can get the knuckle far enough out.

-Dave

I have had enough of autozone.I just told them to give me my money back all 129.90 of it(core+axle) so I went to schucks and bought a new unit with a lifetime warrenty:banana: for 100.Schuck's computer actually differences between SOHC and OHV 1.8 engines unlike autozone which just gives random numbers for the engines.Autozone kept bringing me an axle with 25 splines on the DOJ and saying that was the correct part(1987 GL wagon,Carbie,with 5 speed DR,I DONT THINK SO)

Although axles with a lifetime warrenty ROCK!!!

• 3 weeks later...