Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got me a new XT6! It dont work right though...

I got an opportunity to buy an 1988 XT6 for cheap. I took it for a test drive and noticed a couple significant problems with the transmission, and small problems with the engine. There's also a fair dent in the rear fender well. Like usual though, I went with the old buy first and decide if its worth it later thing. I'm still in the process of the later...

The biggest problem is the transmission. When I test drove it, the car didn't go into 4th. The shifter went into position, but it just made a grinding sound and no movement. All the other gears worked, but when in 3rd and under a load (accelerating) the shifter pushes back and sometimes pops out of gear. I trailered it home and had some fun on the backroads behind my house, and it did GREAT in the 6+ inches of snow (did drag a bit). As I drove, 2nd seemed to get harder and harder to get into. When got home and parked it, I took the center console out to check the transmission linkage. I'm not sure what happened, but suddenly the shifter locked up! Totally wouldn't go in any gears or move at all! Anybody have any ideas?

Specifically, does anybody know

*What manual transmissions I can put behind the 2.7?

*How hard/expensive do-it-yourself transmission repair is?

*Where I can find technical info on how the transmission is built?

Regarding the engine:

It idles great, and has good power- most of the time. Sometimes the engine will not accelerate unless I press the pedal all the way down, then runs fine for a while. Since the car's been sitting for a few years, I'm assuming bad gas/clogged injectors. Could this be an electronic problem? I know one of the previous owners was a junkyard with horrific mechanics who may have done strange/stupid things to it...

Also, oil pressure seems kinda low. Going off the stock gauge, I think it's about 7-10 psi at idle. Is this normal?

This is the first Subaru I've ever owned. I've gotta say, I'm impressed with the engineering! From the design of spark plug wire boots to the fuel line that says "Subaru" all over it to the tight and perfect fit of the air intake, and just about everything else- there's a quality I seldom see in cars (especially 70's to 90's fords and chevys!). I think I'm going to enjoy working on this one!

First off...go sign up over at XT6.net...thats all they deal with is the XT/Alcyone/Vortex line... Plus Congrats on the XT6..I recently got my fiorst one ...88 5spdfull time 4WD...its sure been quirky btu alot of knowledge between here and there...Mine runs like a champ now ( has a 23K mile Subaru factory crate motor in it)

Can't be of much help to you since mine shifts fine but is due for a new clutch very soon..I would say check the fliuds first though

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only manual trans you can put behind an XT6 without swapping drive axles is the '87.5-'91 5MT full-time 4WD unit that came in XT6es and GL-10 turbo sedans and wagons. (The RX full-time 4WD 5-speed might bolt right in too but there's no good place to put the hi/lo selector lever in the XT's cockpit.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only manual trans you can put behind an XT6 without swapping drive axles is the '87.5-'91 5MT full-time 4WD unit that came in XT6es and GL-10 turbo sedans and wagons. (The RX full-time 4WD 5-speed might bolt right in too but there's no good place to put the hi/lo selector lever in the XT's cockpit.)

Any trans from a 4wd Turbo car would work. They all have 25 pline front axle stubs. Even the early part time/ push button 5speed would work.

Thanks!

So a non-turbo wont work? Is this just because of the spline count or is there a major difference in internal components between the two? I know a junkyard where I get cheap parts has 15+ subaru's, ranging from 1975 to somewhere in the 90's. There's one XT6, but it's automatic. I know there's some 5 speeds also, but they're in older (80ish?) wagons. I'll have to go down there and make a list of what exactly is available...

But if I can't find another transmission, I'm going to try rebuilding the one I've got. I've never rebuilt a transmission before and have no idea what I'm getting into... Anybody have any experience with the matter?

Thanks!

So a non-turbo wont work? Is this just because of the spline count or is there a major difference in internal components between the two? I know a junkyard where I get cheap parts has 15+ subaru's, ranging from 1975 to somewhere in the 90's. There's one XT6, but it's automatic. I know there's some 5 speeds also, but they're in older (80ish?) wagons. I'll have to go down there and make a list of what exactly is available...

But if I can't find another transmission, I'm going to try rebuilding the one I've got. I've never rebuilt a transmission before and have no idea what I'm getting into... Anybody have any experience with the matter?

You may be able to scavenge the gears from a non turbo car. And actually you could use any 5spd, but you would need to install 23 spline cups onto the ends of the XT6 axles. And the whole reason the turbos and 6 cylinders used the 25spline stubs is cause of the extra power. So I wouldn't want to put the extra power through them.

The other difference is that the final drive ratios may not match. You're car is either a 3.7 or 3.9 rearend. Look at the back of the rear differential, there should be a sticker to ID the ratio and also will say "LSD" in big letters if it has limited slip.

Here's the tricky part. The Turbo cars used a 3.7 ratio trans. You're XT6 may have a 3.9. In fact if it is a "fulltime 4WD" it does have a 3.9 If it has selective 4wd, it will have a 3.7. If you use a 3.7 Ratio trans you can get a 3.7 diff from a turbo car or any Automatic 4wd car. Also many old EA81 cars used 3.7 rear ends,

I'll tear into the transmission and browse the junkyard next weekend if I get some free time. I'll also take a few pics and post em up. The car's at my mom's house 40 miles from my apartment so I can't really get pics right now... The car's white, paint's still shiny, and no major body probs except for the dent(s) above the rear tire. There's a small crack in the front windshield but all the other glass is good. The headliner's falling down (tacked up) and there's an easily mendable rip in the drivers seat, but other than that it's all good.