Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick advice to help choice between two Legacies

Hi, while I make a search, here's what I'm trying to do.

A friend's Loyale just gave up the gost and he's hesitating between a 95 Legacy, 2.2L, 200,000 kilometers (2500$ Ca) and a 99 Legacy, 2.5L 179,000 kilometers (3500$ Ca). Both are in very good shape according to him.

Without any further info, what car would you choose.

He need an answer before tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

The 95, is it obdI or obdII?

Personally, even with the possability of a bad HG looming over the 99, i would go with the 99 since its newer and OBDII.

Now that being said, he still has to check to make sure the tires still match, that it passes the tight circles in the parking lot test, and since its canada, to check for rot.

nipper

The 2.5 Head gasket problem would scare me. I'm biased but I'd pocket the $1,000 and go with the 95 2.2 . The plain jane legacies actually ride and handle a bit better than the Outbacks. As long as you don't need the ground clearance and the extra power outlet in the back you'll be O.K. I also think the 99 Outbacks look a bit dorky, but then again, it's a Subaru...

The 2.5 Head gasket problem would scare me. I'm biased but I'd pocket the $1,000 and go with the 95 2.2 . The plain jane legacies actually ride and handle a bit better than the Outbacks. As long as you don't need the ground clearance and the extra power outlet in the back you'll be O.K. I also think the 99 Outbacks look a bit dorky, but then again, it's a Subaru...

Oops. I thought the 99 was an Outback. My bad. I'd still stay away from the 2.5L.

ok when i saw lilbluefrt, the first thing i thought was little blue fart.. i have no idea why

hehehehehehehe

sorry i like blu better (my 97 OBW) :)

nipper

Glad I didn't have a back photo named Lilblueass :clap:

To help educate some of the "less knowledgable" amongst us, Subaru introduced OBDII in the l995 model year, one year before it was federally mandated.

The story I heard was that when the FHI bigwigs saw the '95 Legacy protoype they said "Well obviously this is the best looking car we'll ever be able to produce. And of course it has the best engine we've ever built. Let's go ahead and give it OBDII."

And now you know.

To help educate some of the "less knowledgable" amongst us, Subaru introduced OBDII in the l995 model year, one year before it was federally mandated.

The story I heard was that when the FHI bigwigs saw the '95 Legacy protoype they said "Well obviously this is the best looking car we'll ever be able to produce. And of course it has the best engine we've ever built. Let's go ahead and give it OBDII."

And now you know.

I'm in total agreance up until the best motor. It didn't get the ej22t.

To help educate some of the "less knowledgable" amongst us, Subaru introduced OBDII in the l995 model year, one year before it was federally mandated..

Aot of MFG's did that to get some extra time to get the bugs out. 1995 is a transition year for other things though (like spedo cables). I wouldnt be surprised if there is the odd 1995 OBDI running around.

Now if subaru hasnt been able to make a good looking car since then, they havbe some serious issues :headbang:

Personally they got real ugly (or really dull) with the last generation of Legacy. I want to kick some designers in the but and tell them not all of us want to drive a camry clone.

nipper

Aot of MFG's did that to get some extra time to get the bugs out. 1995 is a transition year for other things though (like spedo cables). I wouldnt be surprised if there is the odd 1995 OBDI running around.

Now if subaru hasnt been able to make a good looking car since then, they havbe some serious issues :headbang:

Personally they got real ugly (or really dull) with the last generation of Legacy. I want to kick some designers in the but and tell them not all of us want to drive a camry clone.

nipper

I know a guy with a 1995 Legacy Outback with OBDI.

how does one tell the difference between I and II ? I believe the plug is on the left side of the driver dash, almost looks like an extra ashtray at first?

Yep there is a small door, open it up and you'll see the plug for ODB II. The chances of finding one with ODB I would be pretty slim.