Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorry, Skip, but firstwagon's question is a good one. Most of us are aware that Subaru's diesel was just unveiled in Geneva yesterday and we're all anxious to know the details.

If anyone comes across any press releases or up-to-date info, please post!

I found this link on Autoblog which includes very detailed photos...

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/07/geneva-motor-show-subarus-boxer-diesel/

The "gallery" section of this article has system breakdown photos.

If Subaru introduced the diesel to USA, they could pander to the eco-freaks by suggesting the car can run on bio-diesel, which will make the Birkenstock crowd happy, knowing that if it snows, the car can easily pass the Toyota Pious stuck in a snowbank. (No I didn't mis-spell Prius, I call the car the PIOUS, reflecting the drivers I'm-better-than-you attitude for driving a car that is in compliance with the Kyoto Treaty). Didn't I hear that Subaru was contemplating a boxer hybrid somewhere? Bio-diesel boxer hybrid with AWD?

• 2 weeks later...
And why don't you think it will come to the US?

Because Subaru of America does not take any risks. Otherwise we'd have STi Legacies and Forresters and MT options for our GT wagons, which no longer exist anyway. Diesel is a bold move in America. Few Americans understand that diesel engines are cleaner and more efficient than they were 10 years ago. And since not all gas stations offer diesel fuel, Americans tend to shy away.

Because Subaru of America does not take any risks. Otherwise we'd have STi Legacies and Forresters and MT options for our GT wagons, which no longer exist anyway. Diesel is a bold move in America. Few Americans understand that diesel engines are cleaner and more efficient than they were 10 years ago. And since not all gas stations offer diesel fuel, Americans tend to shy away.

What he said, and the fact that it took 9 years for us to get a WRX...

The Boxer Diesel came too late for europe. :-\

They made this engine for europe, but the diesel-boom in europe is over.

People are going back to petrol engines, because the TDI and CDI and so

on are not that reliable and durable. I hope its not going to be a bad idea.

Lukas

Because Subaru of America does not take any risks. /quote]

Hmmm. Same Subaru that brought us the Tribeca?

Yes, the horrible failure. Everyone company is selling midsize SUVs lot hotcakes, seeing as how the Large ones are no cost effective in the high gas priced world will live in. Subaru joins that market and screws it up. I pray that the new engine and refreshed styling will make the Tribeca a top seller.

I pray that the new engine and refreshed styling will make the Tribeca a top seller.

Slegacy96. I agree with your sentiment. I just wish FHI/Subaru had taken the enormous amount of money they spent on designing, tooling and promoting the Tribeca and put it into diesel or hybrid development.

It's pretty obvious the world's petroleum situation is only going to get worse.

The TDI is VW and the CDI is Mercedes, right? Recently, the German reputation for reliability has been tarnished in USA (We Subie nuts don't like Audi, do we?). Do the Japanese makes have diesels for the EDM cars and do they suffer the same problems?

Slegacy96. I agree with your sentiment. I just wish FHI/Subaru had taken the enormous amount of money they spent on designing, tooling and promoting the Tribeca and put it into diesel or hybrid development.

It's pretty obvious the world's petroleum situation is only going to get worse.

My mom has an RX400h, and it is the most awesome car I have ever driven. I love the hybrid, but the technology itself still could use some more refinment.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The TDIs and CDIs and TDCIs and so on are far away from bombproof. 70% of the cars sold in austria came with diesel enginesSo I know what I am talking about. The CDI (nearly every Taxi here is an E-Class CDI) has big problems with the diesel injectors and the high pressure common rail pumps. Repairs are very expensive, a firend of mine had to change the hole common-rail-system of his 2002 E270 CDI. It cost him 7000 Euro (!!!), Mercedes-Benz said they will pay 50%, so he had to pay 3500 Euro. And he had 120.000km on the clock. These problems are not so uncommon!

The TDI engines have big problems with their timing belts, turbo chargers and cylinder heads, especially the 2,5 TDI in the VW Passat, Audi A4 and A6 from 1998 untill 2004. The new 2,7 and 3,0 TDI are more reliable. For now... :grin:

Overall you can say that the petrol powerded cars last longer than the cars with modern high pressure diesel engines. The old diesel in the Mercedes-Benz W123, W124 and so on are extremely reliable, a few of them got nearly 1.000.000 km on the clock, mostly Taxis. But the new CDI-Taxis don´t last longer than 300.000 km average. Of course there are some with a higher mileage, but only a few.

Do the Japanese makes have diesels for the EDM cars and do they suffer the same problems?

Yes, there are very much diesel powered japanese cars. They are more reliable than the german ones, but the japanese petrol engine cars are also lasting longer than the modern diesel powered. The best modern diesels when it comes to reliability, smoothness and comfort are the HDI from Peugeot and Citroen.

Very interesting point, Lukas. Is that the general feeling from car lovers over there? Please keep us posted.

At the millenium, there was a big diesel boom in europe. Nearly 80% of the new cars where diesel powered. But now the situation is changing.

Diesel is more expensive now (90 cent for 1 litre diesel, 1 Euro for 1 litre petrol), the diesel smoke (very fine dust) in citys is making our children ill and the cars are not that reliable. Of course a modern diesel is fun to drive, but they are louder, rougher, they smell poor, they smoke and the diesel is not that cheap anymore.

So most of the new car buyers are thinking of a potrol engine these days.

And now subaru comes with diesel. :confused:

We needed the Subaru diesel 10 years ago, now SOA (Subaru of Austria :lol: ) says its to late. The diesel boom in europe is over.

Lukas

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

We needed the Subaru diesel 10 years ago, now SOA (Subaru of Austria :lol: ) says its to late. The diesel boom in europe is over.

Lukas

Well Subaru is always late. I really hope Toyota having a stake in them will promote the idea of hybrid Subarus. Anyone remember TPH? It was cancelled. But who better to make the world's first turbo hybrid than Subaru eh? Maybe they will get back on the ball with that, though Im not sure how they would fit a hybrid drive and an H4 in the Legacy, or Impreza, etc.

From what Ive heard, I believe it was Opel who made the first diesel hybrid, but it was too costly for production. Not a bad idea though.

I agree the diesel came to late. The only way they can save their engineering is to combine a diesel with a hybrid. But then diesels dont like the start/stop system (like in the prius). Much better and much much cleaner would be to combine LPG (propane) with a hybrid engine. We looked for a prius but the engine could not be transformed to LPG so went on to a 05 OBW with the 2.5 on LPG, having the Euro4+ LPI (liquid propane injection by Koltec/necam).

As well recent studies show that a large car using euro4+ LPG is much more environmental friendly than the previous prius, although the economical cost is slightly higher.

The other thing you never hear of is the emission made during the fabrication of the gasoline, diesel and LPG. The CO2 production during making of the fuels is for gasoline (benzin) 407 gr/kg, diesel 240 gr/kg and lpg 239 gr/kg, a look at the NOx shows again that diesel and lpg are on the same line half of that of gasoline, but the HC is 19x lower of LPG than gasoline. Its these numbers which you never see if you buy a prius. And in holland LPG is made specially in most other coutries it is burned as a waste product for the production of gasonline:confused: .

This study was done by CE (http://www.ce.nl/eng/index.html) and was not only for the posibilities of cars but also trucks.

If subaru is clever they will only sell the diesel if it is directly suitable for pure plant oil (PPO). Which is the environmental diesel for the future. (but the word 'if' make me doubt they would ever think of this)