Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2000 OBW with 145,000 on her has just recently been getting a terrible exhaust smell in the cabin when driving. Could this just be the oxygen sensor that needs replaced? I don't have any problems in performance or any exhaust leaks. My guess is either the cat converter or o2 sensor. Am I probably right?

That's terrible.

Did you recently go to a really cheap gas station? If you're lucky, maybe it's bad gas (high sulfur) and you'll lose the smell after you go through the tank. Another possibility is that you somehow picked up a leak in the exhaust system (offroading?).

Did you loan to car to somebody? I'm thinking about a scene from the movie Goodfellas...

My 2000 OBW with 145,000 on her has just recently been getting a terrible exhaust smell in the cabin when driving. Could this just be the oxygen sensor that needs replaced? I don't have any problems in performance or any exhaust leaks. My guess is either the cat converter or o2 sensor. Am I probably right?

There are only a few reasons for getting cabin exhaust in the car. None of them having to do with the cat.

At 145000 miles your due for an oil leak or two. Suabru leaks may not show up on the ground, but will show up in the cabin when stopped at a traffic light. Another possability is that the cv boot (inner) has ripped and has tossed grease on the cat.

Another possability is an exhaust leak.

nipper