Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help from those who used the momo 7306 steering wheel adapter hub

I am having trouble getting the 7306 momo steering wheel hub adapter to slide all the way on the steering column splines. I have it part way (I think), but not as far in as the stock steering wheel was. I can only get the one washer and the nut on the threads (recall that there is a washer, lock washer, and nut that holds the steering wheel on). I used the washer and nut to slide the hub in by tightening the nut. The steering wheel doesn't want to slide in any more and I am worried that if I keep trying to tighten that nut, the threads on the steering column will strip out. I have tried putting a light amount of grease on the splines to help them slide in and I have also tried using a sledge hammer and a long socket to tap the hub on. And now, not only I can't get the hub adapter on all the way, but I can't get the hub off neither.

Is the hub adapter supposed to slide in more? If so, then whats the best way to get it on there?

update: It looks like the hub needs to slide in another 3/8". But I would call it good enought if I could get the washer, lock washer, and the nut all the way on.

I decided to use my torque wrench to torque the nut on, that way I reduce the chance of stripping the steering wheel shaft. I set the torque to 27 ft-lbs (my FSM calls for 22-29 ft-lbs) and began tightening the nut. After a little while, I decided to reduce the torque to 15 ft-lbs and work my way up to 27 ft-lbs. It torqued fine at 15 ft-lbs. Then I jumped up to 21 ft-lbs. At this point the nut stripped out :mad: . I thought I would have to torque the nut above 29 ft-lbs to strip the nut off. Well after removing the nut and inspecting, I found that the steering column threads look okay and it was the nut that took in all the damage. I was relieved. I will have to go get a new nut tomorrow and try again. Whether this hub moves in all the way or not, the nut should still torque upto 29 ft-lbs. I'll give it another try tomorrow and will not torque the nut more than 25 ft-lbs (to be safe). But at this point I am thinking that the 7306 impreza/legacy hub will not slide in anymore. It looks like it might slide in if I bore out the inside of the hub just behind the splines.

So what should I do at this point. Give installing the hub by torque the nut on another chance? Or I could remove the hub and bore out the inside of the hub just a little. I could use a dremel to remove a little metal. Will this ruin the balance of the hub? Does that matter? And how do I remove the hub cause there are no threaded holes on the hub to use my steering wheel puller?

For future reference, the nut is a M12 with a 1.25mm pitch.

I did NOT use the lock washer, and that allowed the nut to thread, nearly evenly, onto the shaft. The adapter did NOT slide all the way on, BUT it did BITE the shaft splines properly and with the nut impacted down...i'd say 80 ftlbs.....after 400 autox runs, 40k street miles and a day at a road course....oh, and 2 years later down the road...its A-OK.

I did NOT use the lock washer, and that allowed the nut to thread, nearly evenly, onto the shaft. The adapter did NOT slide all the way on, BUT it did BITE the shaft splines properly and with the nut impacted down...i'd say 80 ftlbs.....after 400 autox runs, 40k street miles and a day at a road course....oh, and 2 years later down the road...its A-OK.

Thanks man, your always helpful. 80 ft-lbs seems like too much. I think I will try 27 ft-lbs with blue locktite. I hope I get the hub on straight the first time, because I don't know how I am going to pull it off if its off center.

BTW, for those wondering how to wire the horn. My horn button has 2 spade tabs, one goes to ground and the other goes to the horn wire under the dash (follow the clock spring wires to a 3-wire plug (if you have cruise control) that accepts spade plugs). The 2 wires will simply wrap around the steering shaft as you turn the steering wheel. It seems okay and looks like it will work well. Just remember to leave enough slack in the wires to turn the wheel completely to each side.

You're torque wrench could be drasticly off. I had one that when set at 51 lb. ft. it was actually throwing over 100 at the bolts. How old is yours?

I think you may be right. My torque wrench is a craftsman digitork wrench 5-80 ft-lbs and it has been acting strange. I think it is 3 to 4 years old, but I use it a lot. I should get it serviced. I'll try using my other torque wrench tomorrow.

I'm not sure about getting them serviced. But its a craftsman, they'll usually replace defecive equipment free of charge at a crafsman dealer. I've done it may times at the local sears store. I've broken too many 1/4 drive ratchets in my day:-\

I'm not sure about getting them serviced. But its a craftsman, they'll usually replace defecive equipment free of charge at a crafsman dealer. I've done it may times at the local sears store. I've broken too many 1/4 drive ratchets in my day:-\

Craftsman torque wrenches only have a 90 day warrantee. But I think they will recalibrate and service them for a fee if you take them in to a sears repair shop.