Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio Installation

Trying to get some Tunes in the ole' Brown-a-roo and what seems like it should be very simple is not so. I would like it to look decent, otherwise I would just hack it in. soooooo...does anyone have any suggestions? I bought a 'kit' from the following link:

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-8900

:mad: BEWARE this item does NOT allow installation of a single DIN radio into a '82 hatch. It will only allow the double post install. Since my cassette tape collection has gone the way of the dodo thats not really an option.

Major Lazy

AKA Carl

You will need to cut into the console for a din to fit otherwise you are stuck with a tape deck..The alternative is to get one of the decks made for old cars they have a lot of options and can add a disc changer as well. the draw back is that they are pricey.

Are you sure that kit won't allow it? Can't you cut out the tabs that the knob posts fit thru? Thats the way I've seen these plastic kits work. I know some dudes here have put new radios in the older 81s. I have a loyale with a slightly different problem. Mine sticks out two inches- I need to make a ring like 2.7 Loyale's. His looks nice.

Are you sure that kit won't allow it? Can't you cut out the tabs that the knob posts fit thru?

Nope, they just don't make the kits like that.

An option since you bought that whole kit, cut up the top of your console to a size that'll fit the piece designed for the EA82 bodied cars. That way you get a DIN hole, AND you can fit your stereo in (a lot of stereos hit the heater box otherwise)

Otherwise get a slanted console from an 82 I think. These things are slick.

... Mine sticks out two inches- I need to make a ring like 2.7 Loyale's. His looks nice.

Oh, Thank You!

:)

Yes, I did a Wooden Ring, in 45º Angle, so the two Inches out Doesn´t Seems...

This is a Picture of my Setup:

Loyale_2_7_Shift_Stick.jpg

Also, I did Cut Down the Shifter! :brow:

Well... if You wanna install there a New Stereo Unit, You most Remember that they aren´t Standard Wired, the Front Left & Right Speakers Share their Ground, and the Rear Left & Right Speakers too... So it can cause a newer Unit to block Sound out... Be Carefull.

I suggest to do the "Search" on the Forum, I believe there´s a Well Writed Directions on it, or on the USRM.

Good Luck! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent job!! Nice interior!!

Oh, Thank You!

:)

Yes, I did a Wooden Ring, in 45º Angle, so the two Inches out Doesn´t Seems...

This is a Picture of my Setup:

Loyale_2_7_Shift_Stick.jpg

Also, I did Cut Down the Shifter! :brow:

Well... if You wanna install there a New Stereo Unit, You most Remember that they aren´t Standard Wired, the Front Left & Right Speakers Share their Ground, and the Rear Left & Right Speakers too... So it can cause a newer Unit to block Sound out... Be Carefull.

I suggest to do the "Search" on the Forum, I believe there´s a Well Writed Directions on it, or on the USRM.

Good Luck! :)

I got this adapter free with my radio from cardomain. Seems to be like the other one shown for older subarus. It like 15$ if you dont get a radio I think.Had to see where it bolt down, then cut out the inside of the old console. Its a Scosche SU2020.

2619108_10_full.jpg

2619108_11_full.jpg