Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Good leads on a "crate" or rebuilt EA82

Recently popped a head gasket on an 85 ea82 wagon. I'm thinking about giving the car to my brother but am wondering if I should do the heads again- yes, AGAIN- or just buy a crate engine or rebuild.

Anyone have any good trustworthy, reliable sources?

I am giving a big thumbs up for CCRinc as well. They are the best. Plus we all need to give Shawn the work.

Any idea on price?

I emailed them but it's friday and I won't hear back till at least Monday. I'd like to make a move before then. Ballpark price is good...

Thanks

Why do you want to put Shawn out of work?

It's all about choices in an open market. If immediate need is an issue then both links are closer to home than Colorado. Shawn has an impeccable reputation as a builder so if quality is the determining factor then go with Shawn. It sounded like the poster wasn't sure he would hang on to it.

Why do you want to put Shawn out of work?

No one here will ever doubt the quality of the CCR engines, but I don't feel that we should, as forum members, feel a particular devotion to our Beloved Admin for engine work.. sometimes upwards of a grand isn't exactly an option, and the entire purpose of the forum is discussion and information.. "other" places to get an engine from are simply pieces of information.

Everyone here obviously highly recommends "keeping it in the family" as it were, but I don't think Shawn would have a problem with people offering alternatives to his own shop.

That being said, it IS nice of you to stick up for him.. but theres no need to give someone else any flak for suggesting options, thats all.

Personally, I was wondering if anyone was going to come out and post the link to the ni-mo.com page once CCR had already been linked.. I've been looking for that link for a couple months now (regarding other japcar motors, not soobie engines) and I was glad to see it came up.

Thanks for all the great leads.

Truth be told, if it were me I would go with the CCR block simply because it seems the most reliable. However, this is for my brother who is a student and he cant afford much- infact I'll be doing all the labor myself for him- so price is definately an issue.

I don't think we're putting anyone "out of buisness". Options are good especially when you're on a shoestring budget- any good buisness owner knows this.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

What has anyone heard about "40,000 mi." jap engines?

I think I heard the story about them is B..S. But I know that they are or at least were available wherever they came from, For around $400 with 1 year warranty, Because the Shop where my brother worked installed many of them. (Subaru is the most common car in this county you see 3 or 4 to every 1 of other makes). I also remember they had more than one source, As sometimes the usual supplier might be out of stock on the needed model. The preffered distributor offered very resonable shipping as they put it on their truck with lots of other stuff to defray costs.

(you had to wait on their schedule, up to two weeks) Farwest or Goldenwest distributing, something like that. Was the one they used most. I'm fairly sure they were somewhere around the S.F. bay area.

Does anyone know about this, If so do you know if it still an option?