Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bugger!

I am trying to remove the dash on my 87 GL so I can access the wires for charge and CEL lights.I can't seem to do it.I removed the steering wheel,still no joy.I need to access those wires so I can solder in the charge and CEL wires off my ej harness.Right now I am thinking just leave them alone and deal with things differently.Ie if car runs badly find a code reader.If I am every worried about charging system I have the factory voltmeter,Although I could take the wire from that and go to a VDO voltmeter...

are charge and CEL lights really needed?Or how best to acces those wires

I am trying to remove the dash on my 87 GL so I can access the wires for charge and CEL lights.I can't seem to do it.I removed the steering wheel,still no joy.I need to access those wires so I can solder in the charge and CEL wires off my ej harness.Right now I am thinking just leave them alone and deal with things differently.Ie if car runs badly find a code reader.If I am every worried about charging system I have the factory voltmeter,Although I could take the wire from that and go to a VDO voltmeter...

are charge and CEL lights really needed?Or how best to acces those wires

What part of your dash is getting stuck? you have to reach behind and undo all the plugs. Did you pry off the "OFF" and"Defrost" buttons and remove those screws? of course the Two above gauges, two under the charge/oil/ecs lights.

If you're mounting an after market I think you could run a wire from the back of the fuse box from the wire out of fuse 12.

The cel Light wire is LG (light bluew/green) out of the dash. Then changes to RY (red w/yellow) going through the right of the 3 blue connectors behind the fuse box. It's in the top corner by with the notch. It also has a brach going to the brownish check connector by the strut tower in engine. RY there too, bigger of two connectors, 2nd pin to right of notch in middle. It is also RY at the ECU pin 40. ECU pins are numbered on the plug(really small). disconnect battery before unplugging ECU

I just need enough room behind the dash to get in there and identify the charge light and CEL wires.That way I can solder the ej harness in there.How hard is it to get the screws holding the instrument cluster in?Removing that would definatly help in connecting EJ harness to select EA wires...

There are six screw holding the dash bezeel on. two under the bezel, 2 above instrument cluster, and 2 under the defrost and off buttons of the vent/heat selector. It is also clipped kinduv and takes a good yank and pry to get the right end with the vents in it loose. The CEL and Charge lights are in that bezel so there is no reason to remove the instrument cluster itself.

Did you get my E-mails with diagrahms? I also told you excactly where to find all these wires already. And why do you need the charge an CEL lights? what are you trying to wire to them? Voltmeter would wire to power from fuse 12, or any Ig. switched 12v for that matter. And the CEL? what are you trying to accomplish?

I am trying to connect the EJ22 wiring harness to the idiot lights in the EA82 body.My problem is the original car was carbie so it had no computer.So everything to make the engine run except the EA starter relay is EJ stuff.

I am trying to connect the EJ22 wiring harness to the idiot lights in the EA82 body.My problem is the original car was carbie so it had no computer.So everything to make the engine run except the EA starter relay is EJ stuff.

Well, You don't have an ECS wire at all then. There will be a spot for the ecs lamp. it is probably blacked out thought. So wire any type of indicator light you'd like. As far as charge light. You're best bet still is to remove that bezel. There are six screws. Just make sure all the plugs in back are disconnected and pull. once off, on each side there is a box that holds all the warning lights. All the wires are right there, and do not go throught the instrument panel plugs or harness at all.