Ultimate Subaru Message Board

shot clutch

I'm pretty sure my clutch is shot in my 87 5sp GL wagon. I was wondering what mileage others may have had problems with their clutches or trannys. I know alot of problems can be pretty relevant to the mileage. I dont know the exact mileage since I havent been in my car for a couple years due to its lack of working. Its just chilling out at my moms place, waiting to be resurrected.

It all depends on how the car is driven. If someone drove it hard then it would not last as long as someone who drove it well. Ive heard of stock clutches lasting as long as 200,000 on volvos (my uncles) and ive also heard of clutches going out every 20,000 or so miles from a bad driver. I believe if you treat a clutch well it should be good for 100,000 miles.

Yah, my buddy's dad had a diesel mercedes that had WELL over 300K on the original clutch.. but that SAME car also had the original brake pads last over 200K, as well.

They DO put "lifetime" warranties on things like brake pads and clutches, because it REALLY is possible to drive enough like grandma to make them last that long.

The lifetime warranty is usually from the installer, the $16 for the brake pads is nothing compared to the $$$$ for the labor to install them.

I haven't seen the lifetime warranty clutches, though. They probably figure you'll sell the car before you need the warranty.

I guess you adjusted the cluth cable all the way out?

then yea,clutch time. Life of clutch depends on how hard it is driven and possibly quality also.

Time too go bond with your Subee in the garage. Remember, what happens in the garage... stays in the garage!:rolleyes:

Time too go bond with your Subee in the garage. Remember, what happens in the garage... stays in the garage!:rolleyes:

My garage is full, so I get to bond with my Subie outside, and that included pulling the engine for the clutch job. Looking back i should have resealed the front and rear mains while it was out. I'll just have to pull it when I put in a dual range tranny to reseal.