Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I bought the 5mt T legacy, here comes the issues.

This car is sick, it is fast as hell and a fun car to drive. I need opinions on what to think about a few things though. Seller was a nice guy. He pointed out to me before it even happened that the check engine light comes on a high speed, he says it has done so since the tranny swap and claims it to be a speed sensor reading the car is in park and going above 55 because he had to fool the car into thinking it was in park for life, is this a propable thing?-that is point 1. Point 2 is the abs light, i would like to make it clear that i couldnt give a ************ about having abs. he says it has been on since he bought it and never cared either, is there a reason why i should other than not having abs?-also he says the car goes through an anti lock brake check when it starts and i will feel it in the pedal sometimes when the check happens, which i do, the pedal thumps for like 2 seconds and then it goes away....any of this an issue as long as i dont care if i have anti-lock? point 3 i went ahead and put high mielage oil in it and i put it 4.5 quarts, it is a 93 legacy turbo, its reading a little high, did i put too much in, the book said just over 4 quarts? point 4- i got the 5mt tranny in this thing shifts smooth whatever blah blah blah. He did the swap and claims he put synthetic fluid in it, it is NOT red???? ive never dealt with synth. tranny fluid before is this normal or not? i assume it is if the guy had enough brains to do the swap i doubt he could mess up something so simple....my real question is what should i run in this tranny should it eventually leak, what weight and what type of fluid? an opinions on any of these things are genuinely appreciated. i have never owned a subaru but fell in love going down route 79 south on the way home. bought this car for better economy over my wrangler and was completely shocked at its turbo power. even more shocked to encounter the amount of high end upgrades dude put in without telling me while i was doing brakes and waht not today. Didnt recognize the shocks but my buddy did and says bad rump roast stuff.

Sounds like a nice ride!

He did the swap and claims he put synthetic fluid in it, it is NOT red????
Should just be like a gl-5 80w-90 gear oil. Actually I've never seen a gear oil dyed red. ATF is normally dyed red and some racing engine oils. Some people have had issues with mobil1 syn gear oil eating something in the MT's.

no heat sheilds
Should be fine, just don't park on hay piles. Some say missing heat shields near the cv joints might let more heat to the boot.