Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the best way to clean the engine compartment?

2000 OBW.

No oil leaks or anything, but I just bought the car private party and the engine in mostly just dusty. I'd like to start fresh and clean so I can watch new developments as they happen.

Whats the best way to clean these?

I'd most likely take it to a coin-op car wash but I've heard different methods for cleaning- I.E.- "keep the engine running so any moisture entering any moisture sensitve areas will be evaporated quickly". Or, "DONT run the engine or you'll suck moisture into places like the intake and kill the engine".

Thoughts, Comments???

I've done both. Neither seems to be a big problem. Except on distributored cars. I have no luck with washing a dizzy motor at all.

You could use some gunk or other brand engine detailer and a garden hose at home, not high pressure so it wouldn't be a big consern around the air box and such

[...]No oil leaks or anything, but I just bought the car private party and the engine in mostly just dusty.[...]

Thoughts, Comments???

If it's truly "just dusty", why not carefully use compressed air to clean off the majority of it, ignore the rest, and avoid the whole issue of moisture getting into unwanted places? Dust doesn't typically prevent you from monitoring things like developing leaks, etc.; in fact, it often makes them more evident.

However, if you're going to spray the engine down, a minor amount of water entering the intake isn't going to kill it; just don't inject a stream of water in there. :)

I usually clean engines with the engine off, but make sure the alternator, coil, fusebox, and ECM if visible is covered over with a plastic bag to avoid any problems. If the spark plugs are situated in a way that will "pool" water, I will usually give a few quick sprays of WD40 to chase it away if it does try to enter. Then blow the engine off with some compressed air to dry, then start the vehicle.

Oh! yes cover the ALTERNATOR! i learned the hard way, i was working on my car outside in the rain, as soon as i start it, the alternator was dead, right before it rained, i just tested the voltage got 14.4, after it rained, and the entire engine bay was soaked(i didn't start it till morning) i start it, and i only got 12.1v out of the battery. and then decreased more and more, but got me to the auto parts store, and back to replace it.

2000 OBW.

No oil leaks or anything, but I just bought the car private party and the engine in mostly just dusty. I'd like to start fresh and clean so I can watch new developments as they happen.

Whats the best way to clean these?

I'd most likely take it to a coin-op car wash but I've heard different methods for cleaning- I.E.- "keep the engine running so any moisture entering any moisture sensitve areas will be evaporated quickly". Or, "DONT run the engine or you'll suck moisture into places like the intake and kill the engine".

Thoughts, Comments???

I use Simple Green a brush for the hard stuff, and rense it off with a garden hose, ( no steam or high pressure ) if available i use a compressor to blow off the water. let it dry a bit then start the car up. ive had 0 problems cleaning my subaru and my vw engines.

Simple Green, Castrol Super Clean, or if it's REALLY dirty Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Spray these on straight, let them soak for an hour or so, then hose off with your garden hose. You can cover your alt, or WD-40 it ahead of time. My personal daily driver is a 32 year old Ford Pinto, It leaks EVERYWHERE. I prefer to keep it clean, or at least keep the "big chunks" off.

Simple green or any other purpose made commercial engine cleaner. Use a garden hose squirter head. In over 20 years never had a problem with any method. If the car gives you a hard time starting after wards, change the plug wires.

nipper

I used to wash/detail cars at a lincoln mercury mazda dealership and the detail guy(I was the lot boy but I did detail the cars a lot too)would wash the engines of every car he detailed off with a pressure washer that he owned himself. He sprayed it down real good with a bottle of degreaser and let it sit for a while. Then he blasted it clean with the pressure washer. Never had a problem with it. Didn't cover anything up. He did this every single day for the entire 8 months that I worked there. I did it too because I figured if he does it and he's been working there doing it forever, must be alright.

I'm not recommending it, I'm just saying that an experienced detailer did it daily at his job. I think that's how they do it at most dealerships too. Trust me, if you go to a dealership and look at the used cars you'll see how clean those engines are and you know they are NOT going to waste their time cleaning it with a hose, haha.

They had this other nifty chemical called SAR that will take off any scuff marks or rubber right off your car. Off the interior, off the outside of the car from tire rubber or asphalt that you could scrub for days and never get off. They have another chemical that takes the hardest dried bugs right off. Just spray it on and then wipe them right off in one pass with a rag. That SAR stuff also gets rid of those nasty water marks on your windows. I miss all those chemicals, made my vehicles look nice and pretty.