Ultimate Subaru Message Board

will an ej turbo work on a ea

Pooparu

Which EJ turbo? The older EJ IHI turbos are a bit different than the Mitsu turbos.

Any turbo will fit if you want it bad enough. I have a TD04 from a WRX on my EA82. But it required modding the uppipe, a new exhaust and different IC piping (or plenum pipes if you aren't using an IC - which I do not recommend).

Some pics of my TD04 project are in my galley, as well as some of Russ' TD04 pics.

Oh yeah... Moving to retrofitting.

the older IHI turbos use the same DP flange as the Mitsus, so you would still need the WRX/legacySS downpipe, or at least the flange.

The turbo outlet is larger as well.

The uppipe flange.. Man, for the life of me I can't remember if it is the old style or new style. Both are very similar.

on the origonal note you have to drill out one of the holes larger and do some creative piping to put a vf11 on but it pretty straight forward

edit: whoops, you need different down pipe flanges, the stock upipe will work with a little drilling

any word on that turbo?

I can only find the one in my garage. I know I have 1-2 more floating around somewhere. The one I have is good though. However, all the oil and water lines have been removed. - Some for my TD04 swap, and one for a GT35R on an STi :-p.

If you have the existing turbo on your car still, the lines will swap right over.

on the origonal note you have to drill out one of the holes larger and do some creative piping to put a vf11 on but it pretty straight forward

edit: whoops, you need different down pipe flanges, the stock upipe will work with a little drilling

I don't recommend the drilling course. After numerous test fits, I endid up welding the TD04 flange right to the top of the stock flange. Worked flawlessly.

oh man, I just gave away my old turbo 2 nights ago. Let me know if you can find or put together a turbo with all the lines or if you know where I can find lines. I think I'm going to bag the ej turbo idea. It sounds like more trouble than I'm willing to deal with right now. Thanks for all the info though.

I can only find the one in my garage. I know I have 1-2 more floating around somewhere. The one I have is good though. However, all the oil and water lines have been removed. - Some for my TD04 swap, and one for a GT35R on an STi :-p.

If you have the existing turbo on your car still, the lines will swap right over.

Calebz,

is it possible to run a td04 on a 1985er ea82t with stock ecu, if it is what number of hp will it produce? i am currently rebuilding my engine and want to tune it up to aprox.170/180 hp, any tips???

Calebz,

is it possible to run a td04 on a 1985er ea82t with stock ecu, if it is what number of hp will it produce?

Yup. Dunno what numbers it will produce though. Never put mine on a dyno.

I just kept beating on it until it blew :D

Thats what spare motors are for.

Do all you can to get more fuel when boosting. A hobbs switch with a 5th injector might be a good idea if you are going to continue on with the stock ECU

Look in my gallery and search my username, there is a lot of TD04 discussion that has taken place.