Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Camshaft wrench size for removing cam bolt

On my 2.2 I used a piece of the old belt around pully with a chain wrench, which I know you already know this trick so have you found a better way?

what size wrench is needed to hold the cam in place while loosening the cam pulley bolt? been searching for awhile and got nothing.

I never noticed the notch you speak of but I have only taken the cam pullys off one time, I looked for the reg. cam spocket and crank spocket holding tools but have not found them, the chain wrench works O.K. but it is a pain to get everything where you need it while keeping things in place.

i don't have a chain wrench. there's a notch on the cam shaft that a crescent wrench fits on...curious what size wrench that is as 24mm is the biggest wrench i have.

<<Is that pully wrench for the 2.2 or the 2.5 or they may be the same? Where do you buy that wrench at.>>

the gold colored tool was used to disassemble/assemble the following engines at my shop:

2.2/all,

2.5/SOHC,

i ordered it about 10 years ago from some dealer tool suplier.

I'm pretty sure (hoping!) that cam sprocket holder tool svxpert showed works for both the sohc 2.2L and 2.5L. You can get it from subaru.spx.com (they have ALL subaru special service tools in fact I think they're the manufacturer). The price was I think about $66 when I bought it. You have to request a quote; they don't show prices on the Web site. I don't recall the part # off hand but I think it was 499207100.

Thanks I will check this site out.

I'm pretty sure (hoping!) that cam sprocket holder tool svxpert showed works for both the sohc 2.2L and 2.5L. You can get it from subaru.spx.com (they have ALL subaru special service tools in fact I think they're the manufacturer). The price was I think about $66 when I bought it. You have to request a quote; they don't show prices on the Web site. I don't recall the part # off hand but I think it was 499207100.

i don't have a chain wrench. there's a notch on the cam shaft that a crescent wrench fits on...curious what size wrench that is as 24mm is the biggest wrench i have.

And you are 1mm short. on a DOHC camshaft there are flats to use a 25mm open end wrench to hold the camshaft in place while torquing the cam sprocket bolt to 60 ft-lbs. on SOHC engines, I have not seen these flats at all. A large pin spanner between the spokes of the cam sprocket is what you use on those engines. Aaaaaand after reading the rest of the thread, I see that svxpert has posted a picture of the pin spanner that I just spoke of. Yes, it works on all of the SOHC Subaru engines that I have ever seen, as well as the EG33 (SVX) which happens to be a DOHC running off of a SOHC belt.