Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hood Pins... Cool or Rice???

rice rice rice...but its ok..my Loyale has some rice..Is this rice or what LOL

MarcusShow001.jpg

Sorry, but those seat covers are kinda . . . redneck.

The hoodpins are nice, though.

BTW: rice is not really an accepted term here to a lot of people unless you're talking about food.

they look a lot nicer than the big gangly musclecar hood pins i put on my wagon. however mine are on there to keep the hood from flying up. i had a scare on the road a few years ago. i later found out the bracket that bolts to the hood wasnt bolted in tight enough. oh well, better safe than sorry...

hood pins, like any other visual modification, I call rice unless they are needed.

If you pin it, remove the cable assembly.. what good is it?

I believe in hood pins, when there is no other way to hold your hood down. The only personal experience I have with them, is when my old man put them on the non-hinged fiberglass hood, on the one-piece fiberglass front end on his 240Z. In other words, they were the ONLY thing holding the hood on.

Beyond that, my call is just "rice," but not a very convicted "rice" verdict. Especially those pins, outside of the CF they look schweet!! and if your car merits it, then its allll good. just paint over that CF lookin crap, even if it IS real CF. Carbon Fiber, to me, is a great thing, yah.. but its fugly. you wouldn't leave exposed fiberglass finish, would you? its raw material, not a finish.. its not like its WOOD....

...BTW: rice is not really an accepted term here to a lot of people unless you're talking about food.

I´m Confused / Lost in Translation: Rice is a Cereal Food, so What´s the Meanin´ to Use that word on a Car´s Look?

Well... I Think that those Hood Pins makes your Subie more "Personalized", (As we say Here), so more Unique, or More "Your Own Way" :) I really don´t Like the Idea but I don´t think that they are Ugly, or make Uglier looks... No, I just think that is a Personal Preference. Also you did a Well Done Work installin´ Them.

I Like the Seat Covers Look! :D

Sorry, I guess "rice" is sort of a relative term, (and not a very politically correct one at that) and its definite meaning really depends on where you live.

.... along with it usually comes a certain amount of dislike (also depending on the attitudes in your particular area) ....and I will admit is just plain stereotyping.

I dont really know how the term itself got started......

but here in upstate NY, a "ricer" is usually somebody that you see in the 1996 honda (or similar) with

-the carbon fiber hood

-the non-functional spoiler that just adds weight

-$1000.00 worth of big chrome wheels

-$1000.00 (or more) worth of stereo

-the $500.00 cold air intake

-e-bay $9.95 "performance chip"

-and sadly, around HERE .....usually a STOCK MOTOR:eek:

....there is also, at least around HERE, a certain and distinct air of disrespect about these kids (theyre usually kids here)

I dont wanna step on toes with this one....this is just my observation

-peace, backwoodsboy

Sorry, I guess "rice" is sort of a relative term, (and not a very politically correct one at that) and its definite meaning really depends on where you live.

.... along with it usually comes a certain amount of dislike (also depending on the attitudes in your particular area) ....and I will admit is just plain stereotyping.

I dont really know how the term itself got started......

but here in upstate NY, a "ricer" is usually somebody that you see in the 1996 honda (or similar) with

-the carbon fiber hood

-the non-functional spoiler that just adds weight

-$1000.00 worth of big chrome wheels

-$1000.00 (or more) worth of stereo

-the $500.00 cold air intake

-e-bay $9.95 "performance chip"

-and sadly, around HERE .....usually a STOCK MOTOR:eek:

....there is also, at least around HERE, a certain and distinct air of disrespect about these kids (theyre usually kids here)

I dont wanna step on toes with this one....this is just my observation

-peace, backwoodsboy

Yea thats not just in your area..its over here too. You got it about right.

Redneck and Ricer.. two semi-ugly, semi-prejudiced American slang terms.

A "redneck" is a country boy, a farm person.. not gender specific, but a yokel, a hick.. someone NOT from the city.. also, it implies someone who is happy to just rig something to make it work.. using a soupcan to patch a hole in your exhaust, for example, is a "redneck" fix. A classic one at that.

Ricer is a little more complex... It derives from the term "rice-burner" which was a term used to insult Japanese cars when they were first being imported into the US... they called them rice burners because of a rumor (or it may have been true) that the Japanese would burn Rice Wine (Sake) in their planes and tankes, etc during WWII when they started running out of natural resources (gasoline)

SO in the sixties these cars started showing up, and the rednecks started calling them all rice burners... (TOTAL coincidence, the rednecks were simply the die-hard American Car people) NOWADAYS, "ricer" or "rice burner" typically implies one of the ridiculously modded honda civics that have like, 400 pounds of carbon fiber bolted on to the stock chassis, without ANY weight removed, a "custom" exhaust that chokes off their engine, and NO real performance upgrades...

In other words, the original poster's question was, does this look too gaudy and pointless, or is it somewhat tasteful?

Another Illustration of the term "Rice..." Are you familiar with the movie The Fast and The Furious? Around here, alot of people called that movie The Rice and The Ridiculous :grin::lol: