Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subies need to go off road!

Or at least mine does.

So out of nowhere my loyale starts to make a whirring noise last night. Defnitly sounded like metal on metal so I was thinking that maybe the wheel bearings got some grit in them or went dry. I go through the typical routine of determining whether its related to the engine or drive train. Didn't matter what the engine did, turning did nothing to the noise, braking and accelerating made the noise decrease or increase, respectively, but without any significant change, so that totally had me confused. I did replace the passenger side wheel bearings and that had no effect either.

Tonight I did some very minor and gentle offroading and when I got back on pavement the noise was gone! It pretty much left as fast as it came, but thanks to some dirt driving its gone! It had been a while since it'd seen dirt, so I guess the car has its needs too.

Anyone know why or what caused this? I'm thinking tranny mounts as a possibility or something's able to shift around and rub on something.

I didn't touch the drivers side and the sound was coming from the passenger side for me, but there wasn't anything wrong with the brakes or ball joint, tierod end, or CV on the passenger side and braking did not change it, and it was only there when the car was rolling. It would also stop just before I came to a complete stop. I'm glad its over though.

I didn't touch the drivers side and the sound was coming from the passenger side for me, but there wasn't anything wrong with the brakes or ball joint, tierod end, or CV on the passenger side and braking did not change it, and it was only there when the car was rolling. It would also stop just before I came to a complete stop. I'm glad its over though.

Exhaust pipe rubbing against driveshaft? The live very close to each other. Whoever welded in a new pipe on mine got it a little too close and mine rubs, ussually only when decelerating, as the engine/trans torques a little to the left.

Exhaust pipe rubbing against driveshaft? The live very close to each other. Whoever welded in a new pipe on mine got it a little too close and mine rubs, ussually only when decelerating, as the engine/trans torques a little to the left.

I will definitely check that out next chance I get.

Thanks everyone for giving suggestions and comments. This place is great!