Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions on a 2002 Outback Sedan H-6 3.0L

Hey Everyone,

How is this 6-cylinder engine and its longevity/reliability? I would imagine a lot more zip compared to the stock 2.5L. Any major problems to be aware of? I have read about issues w/ the timing chain, what types of issues are these? I have a friend looking very seriously at this car. The dealership is asking $16,900 w/ 85k. They are willing to include news tires, and a fluid flush'n'fill. I believe she going to get a 2yrs/20k warranty(I don't have the details on what the warranty covers). I thought it was a decent idea, not sure on the extra cost for it though. You would hope the dealership would have a morals and assist a recent customer if something would happen to go wrong. I am not sure if it is a VDC (maybe they all come w/ VDC in these years and thereafter). The KBB is $16,200.

You would hope the dealership would have a morals and assist a recent customer if something would happen to go wrong.thereafter).
:lol::lol::lol: But seriously, you would hope the dealership would have morals. Some do, some don't and like any relationship you won't really know the person until you run into a problem.

Anyway the car sounds like a nice ride. I'd work 'em down on price though. I've seen other timing chain posts and read a few on other boards where Subaru covered the work under warranty. I don't recall the exact problem.

If they're selling you some sort of third party warranty, care must be taken. You have to ask what does it cover and what does it NOT cover. A lot of times those warranties are not worth it especially with Subaru's.

My wife has a 2003 H6 Sedan, which she purchased new in March of 2003. The car is nearing 80k mi, and we have had no problems with it. It looks and runs like new, and I anticipate it has 120k worth of strong miles left in it.

The H6's oil doesn't blacken between changes, there are no fluid drips, no heat shield rattles.

All in all, H6s of that vintage appear to me to be more refined and more reliable than my 1998 EJ25 Outback.

As far as the VDC variety, I believe those have "VDC" insignia on the fenders, a VDC button below the stereo, and a McIntosh stereo.