Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Serious project..

Kenshiro

Some EA81's (Brats, Brumby's, etc) did. If you want to put power steering in a Brumby you will need an EA81 P/S rack and pump. Although if you use an EA82 or EJ you can use their pumps. Even in RHD vehicles I think you can fit the pipes using either the EJ or EA ones.

Some EA81's (Brats, Brumby's, etc) did. If you want to put power steering in a Brumby you will need an EA81 P/S rack and pump. Although if you use an EA82 or EJ you can use their pumps. Even in RHD vehicles I think you can fit the pipes using either the EJ or EA ones.

Thanx..

Kenshiro, can you post the rules you must comply with for chassis, suspension and engine?

If I were building a Subaru for Dakar, I would start with the lightest car, gut it out, build a bumper to bumper tube chassis/cage, install an EJ engine and D/R trans, around 30" tires, and, most important of all, custom long travel suspension. It does not matter what aftermarket suspension parts are available, they are not adequate for desert racing.

Kenshiro, can you post the rules you must comply with for chassis, suspension and engine?

If I were building a Subaru for Dakar, I would start with the lightest car, gut it out, build a bumper to bumper tube chassis/cage, install an EJ engine and D/R trans, around 30" tires, and, most important of all, custom long travel suspension. It does not matter what aftermarket suspension parts are available, they are not adequate for desert racing.

Hmm the dakar is not like the baja were you see those long travel suspensions, 4x4 modified are only allowed 250 mm travel..

Check out http://www.fia.com for the regulations..

what`s the d/r transmission..?

250mm IS long travel on a Subaru! You should try to get every bit that the rule allows, and the highest quality. Consider a coilover and bypass shock for each wheel.

I would try to get 300-400mm of travel if I build my BRAT.

Baja versus Dakar, bumps are bumps, and sand is sand...