Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fwd to 4wd?

SubaruWagon87

yes it can be done. it's a large job, but having a complete donor car is definitely the way to go - because you know you'll have everything you need. trying to piece it together is NOT the way to go.

there are some FWD to AWD swap threads...there's a very detailed one with pictures started by mr.radon over at http://www.xt6.net, you might want to look through a couple of these threads to get an idea of what's involved with the swap.

keep in mind that the justy is a bit of a freak among the subaru world. the engine and nearly everything else is completely different than all the older generation EA and ER stuff and the newer generation EJ and EG stuff. amongst all subaru's some parts are interchangeable, but the justy is the true subaru freakazoid. you probably know that, but just throwing that out there.

So you're saying I could take the entire driveline out of a 4wd and stick it under my fwd without little (if any) modifications?

you probably could. but, having never been under one myself, and knowing, as gary said, that the justy is the freakazoid, I couldn't say for sure.

but I did a FWD to 4WD swap in my loyale....and it was VERY easy.