Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A little sping cleaning for my 01 forester

Hello All,

With Spring finally peaking through I want to get out and buy some stuff for my 01 Forester...

Firstly I want to have the transmission flushed I do not know the last time it was done because I just bought the car in December Does anyone have an opinion on the type of fluid I should purchase? I don't know if mileage makes a difference but it is almost broken in at 195,000kms.

Secondly I want to do the timing belt, and water pump, should it be ok to get after market for these part

lastly just some general bits the trim in the front wheel wells was removed by whoever had the car before, does any one know if I can get something after market or do I have to take out a second morgage and buy it direct from a dealer? The back trim in the wheel well is starting to pull away I notice that there is some sort of adhesive on it, can I buy this somewhere and re-glue it back on?

Ok this is the last one... I have a ton of stone chips along the front of the hood of the car should I have the whole hood re-painted or I know that there is some sort of a compound that can be applied to blend them in....

Again everyone thanks for all of your continued help, you have been great!!!

Check your manual. ATF type is probably just Dexron which is very common. I've tried autozone house brand, mobil 1 syn atf, and amsoil syn atf and all work great. The newest 5spd models spec Idemitsu or something that is hard to find.

For timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idlers, front cam seals, front crank seal, etc I would stick with OEM on all these parts. On these kinds of items yes aftemarket may be OK but why chance it when the Subaru OEM parts are of proven good quality on these items. Buy from an online Subaru dealer to save some $ over going to local dealer and paying walk in price.

For wheel wheel trim/plastic, etc, a junk/scrap/salvage yard is probably going to be cheapest. Brand new OEM from dealer most expensive.

For trim adhesive, Subaru specs Cemedine products. Never tried to find it. Whatever trim adhesive the local parts store has might work OK.

There's been a few discussions on this site for drain and fill vs. tranny flush. It appears that doing the math, you would need to drain and fill 6 times in order to replace ALL of the tranny fluid from all the nooks and crannies that would otherwise remain and simply be diluted with each subsequent drain and fill. At that rate, the cost of doing 6 drain and fills yourself is a wash with getting a flush done by a shop.

For your stone chips they make a "touch up" paint in a bottle like fingernail polish. you dab this on thick enough to make the chipped parts higher than the surrounding paint. Then you use 2000grit, or higher sandpaper wet to blend it back in. To keep it wet you can lay the water hose on the hood & allow the water to flow down. Once you get everything level, you can use your favorite wax to shine it up.