Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carby adapter gaskets, call me stupid

i have a redline adapter for my 32/36 weber carb (ea82) and i need the gasket between the adapter plate and the intake manifold cuz it got soaked in coolant. i've called 3 places and all 3 places have said that i'd have to buy the entire kit to get the gaskets. could i use a larger gasket and maybe just drill holes for the screws? if so... what gasket is best? maybe i haven't called enough places and this is a stupid question. let me know if it is. thanks ALOT guys.

-Jordan

heres what you do....go down to napa and ask for some gasket paper....then you just trace the top of the intake man. and cut it out and slap it on. i did the same thing and it works fine....i do have a base gasket for an Ea82 but making your own makes no difference.

Make sure you use some Permatex 2 or other sealant around the water passage at the carb base or it will leak water into the intake. (NOT silicone, use the green snot lookin stuff in the tube..)

JB weld will take care of that hole for good.I did that on mine and it is still holding strong.

Yes that big hole in the top that goes up to the stock hitachi. It is best to put something inside the hole along with it like a small bit of a shirt/rag and that will help keep it in place while the jb weld cures. One think I learned is not to try to fill the hole all the way at one time.From what I have found it is easier to work with a little at a time.

can i use the really thin sheet gasket material that comes in rolls? i can't find any parts stores or lawnmower repair shops here in town (or anywhere else for that matter) that sell thick cardboard gasket material.

Yes the thin stuff should be fine.If you are worried about it not sealing up on its own,then I guess you could use some of the rtv type sealant when you go to reassemble it.

okay, closed off that little tube with jb weld, then shellaced all 3 gaskets and put rtv AROUND the big hole just before putting the bottom gasket and bottom half of the adapter on the intake manifold. put the other part of the adapter plate on, then the carby and let sit for about 3-4 hours. cranked it up, same problem. coolant everywhere. so... somebody suggested putting a sock in the hole to plug it up with jb weld... i assume you mean to just leave the sock in there right? somehow I don't think that's a good thing? i'm probably misunderstanding somehow. I tried to jb weld the hole but i think i made it a little too runny and it wasn't nearly thick enough. is there any way to prevent flow of coolant to that area completely?

... is there any way to prevent flow of coolant to that area completely?

Let me Ask you This: Are you Absolutely SURE that the Coolat are Comin´ from that Hole in the Intake?

I Didn´t Closed the Hole, even I Didn´t Remove the Tiny Hose... And My EA82 Doen´t have any Coolant Leak, and the install has more than a year...

So, I Suggest to Check Carefully... Maybe coolant is Comin´ from elsewhere...

Good Luck!

i've checked carefully, and I'm pretty sure that's the only area coolant can be coming from. I did notice from removing the carb again that the metal hose that comes up through the hole does stick up just a bit above the surface of the intake manifold... possibly preventing a good seal, especially with a thin paper gasket such as the replacement I have. at least they're shellaced and should be okay. I'm done for today, I must go to bed so i will be rested for work tonight. I will get rid of the little metal hose and tell you what happens from there.

i've checked carefully, and I'm pretty sure that's the only area coolant can be coming from. I did notice from removing the carb again that the metal hose that comes up through the hole does stick up just a bit above the surface of the intake manifold... possibly preventing a good seal, especially with a thin paper gasket such as the replacement I have. at least they're shellaced and should be okay. I'm done for today, I must go to bed so i will be rested for work tonight. I will get rid of the little metal hose and tell you what happens from there.

If I am picturing it right, this pipe intrudes up above the plane of the manifold?? If so, then that sounds like your failure point right there. If all else fails grind it flat.

If I am picturing it right, this pipe intrudes up above the plane of the manifold?? If so, then that sounds like your failure point right there. If all else fails grind it flat.

Yes, But I Remembered Last Night, Somethin´ that can Help You; I Tried to Access this Site from my Cell Phone´s Internet service, but I Can´t Login...

The Thing I Remembered, is that on Most EA82´s the Weber Carb did Hit the Power Steerin´ Pump... Let me Explain:

The Kit K-731 from Redline / Weber, to install the Weber 32/36 which includes the Two Plates´ Adaptor, is Designed to Mount on a "DL" Version of the EA82. The One that Came Without Power Steerin´ / Air Conditioned.

So, When you Try to Install it on a "GL" with Power Steerin´ Unit, Not Only the Choke Hits the Rear Part of the Power Steerin´ Pump, if you Remove the Choke, the Problem is Still not Solved.

I Had that Problem on my EA82.

So, One Bolt of the Carburetor, Hits one of the Four Bolts at the Rear Part of the Power Steerin´ Pump.

So, I "Cutted" the Half of the Head of the Power Steerin´ Bolt. See:

ImpactingScrews1.jpg

Also:

ImpactingScrews2.jpg

Remember that the EA82 Subie did Came with Different Configurations on the Engine´s Accesories, I Saw Mostly the ones that came with Power Steerin´ Pump, then aside the Hitachi Air Conditioneer Compressor, then (Near the Battery) the Alternator; but some EA82´s Came with Panasonic Air Conditioneer Compresor, in that case, First is the Power Steerin´ Pump, then the Alternator, and finally (Near the Battery) is Placed the Air Conditioneer Compressor, Panasonic.

So, if Your´s is GL, with Power Steerin´ Pump, Be Carefull with Those Bolts... the carbs Seems to be in Place, but with those Bolts Hittin´ it left 2 Milimeters up the Adaptor Plate.

Other Solution is to Mount the Weber Carbs, Backwards... I saw long time Ago, other Member´s Photos with that Configuration on the Engine...

Anyway, Good Luck! :)

I don't have power steering, so that's not a prob. the intake is completely full of coolant. it's been like that all day i guess... took the carb off and it's full to the brim. i blew it out with an air compressor... is that gonna hurt anything? seems like coolant would be getting places it shouldn't be.

under your stock carby you had a black insulating plate which had gaskets on each side of it. it got a hole in it where the coolant outlet is sticking out a bit. if you don't use this plate your adapter is not going to sit flat on the manifold. what i did is, I bent that coolant outlet so it doesn't stick out and filled the hole on the insulation plate with epoxy, then had new gaskets on each side of it. I also filled the coolant hole with epoxy and disconnected the coolant hose to it. good luck.

put the air filter on it today (came from washington) and tried to start it. cranked for about 2 seconds... then "bang" and no more. won't even turn over. hydrolocked? if so... taking the fuel injected engine out of the back and putting SPFI on this baby. this has turned out to be alot more trouble than I ever could have imagined.

Could you Post Pics of your Intake Manyfold and the Trouble Places? ... Maybe that´s Helpfull...

When I Took out my EA82´s Intake, a Lot of Coolant went to the Cylinders... When I Tried to start it, a Bang and then a Drownin´ Engine sound came... :-\

After fiteen minutes of Tryin´ the Engine Started... (I did just a 30 Seconds Start, and a Minute of Restin´) ...And a Enormous White Cloud did came from the Exhaust as the Engine tried to die...

After two minutes, the engine Warmed but Still emanating the White Cloud... I Drove it for half Hour and the White Cloud Quit Apperarin´ :)

Now it Just Runs Great! :burnout:

Maybe Yours is Havin´ the Same "Drownin´ Problem"

I Suggest you to be Carefull... Check Everythin´ to be Sure you left Nothin´ Loose or Bad Plugged... Then I Suggest you to Try Start it Again...

Good Luck!

i guess i should have specified that it wasn't even cranking. you can hear the starting trying to turn the engine, but nothing's happening. won't turn over at all. it was a pretty violent jerk... so i got out and checked for about 10 mins to make absolutely positive nothing was left anywhere where it wasn't supposed to go... i'm guessing the combusion chambers being filled with coolant for the week it sat there wasn't good. i'm gonna take the cam sprockets off the carbed engine that's in the car and put them on the spfi motor that's in the rear, and swap out intake manifolds to keep it carbed. is there anything else I need to swap? I'm pretty sure that's it. but just IN CASE... i'll ask you guys. thanks a million

-Jordan

okay, pulled the plugs, #3 combustion chamber full of coolant. so i go to crank... and voila!! spats out all the coolant and keeps cranking. I now fully understand what hydrolocking is. For those of you who DON'T know what it is... I will explian. At some point in the running of an engine, the piston comes up to compress the gas/air mixture in the combustion chamber. BUT, if there is an uncompressable SOMETHING in there, like a liquid (coolant or water) the piston will stop dead because it just can't compress it. pull the plugs, crank it and voila it's fixed! and here i was thinking i had to pull the engine. well needless to say i feel better about fixing it now. thanks for helping me solve my problems everybody. my subaru shall live on to die another day. :clap: