Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD or NOT? How good are your eyes?

Gravityman

:lol: :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:lol: :lol:

bush%20laugh.jpg

Wow sorry about the little trick but I didnt just dupe all of you but I freaked out also. Belive it or not, the proof is in the pudding...eerr I mean diff. When I received the diff yesterday I swore up and down that it was a OPEN diff but both axles turned the same direction. So to live up to my standard (if you dont already know that I like to take anything and everything apart just for fun), yep I pulled the diff apart to see for sure that it was indeed a Viscous Coupled LSD. Supposedly this is a very rare LSD and they only appeared in impreza's for a short period of time. The couplers are held in the middle of the ring gear.

This is the housing and sideplate which houses the couplers.

100_6007.JPG

A closer look at the coupler disks and rings.

100_6006.JPG

Now the disks installed into the housing.

100_6019.JPG

100_6015.JPG

Everything reassembled.

100_6039.JPG

I spent about an hour and a half trying to figure out the best way to reinstall the coupler disks by trial and error seeing how no one online wants to makeup a writeup on this issue. (wait I just did:-\ ). So I am flippin happy about this awsome find and that it didnt turn out to be an OPEN dud.:clap: :clap: :headbang: :headbang:

Sorry guys! I got you, and you call yourself experts:rolleyes: , just kidding.:lol:

Yea, I am not totally sure what the liquid is but is smells like honey and runs like cold molasses. They were already pretty well coated so I didnt feel the need to recoat them... and I had no clue where to find the grease.

How much "grease" ran out? That's what actually produces the drag when it heats up, so if their only coated in it, and not immersed in the viscous fluid, that diff wont work well.

Some legacy turbos had a standard clutch type LSD, others had the viscous. The only problem with the viscous is they take like seven spins of one axle to fully lock.. (Same with the viscous center diff on the legacies, I got a tire off teh ground on my 91 once and it spun and then the coupling caught and I rocketed up the driveway lol..)

You should be able to get the silcone-based fluid @ the dealership.

Looking at the VERY first pic...thats definatly a VLSD. But...we already know that with all the other posts.

The VLSD is extremely common.

Found on ALL WRX's, optional on outbacks, standard on newer outbacks, standard on ALL 04+ Turbo cars (Baja, Forester, Legacy, Outback).

Yeah, welded diff for the off road. His brat probably won't see that though.

Dont say that, what do you think the useless open diff i am pulling out of the XT6 is going to be used for?:burnout:

The VLSD is extremely common.

I understand this but I thought it was mainly the other fully enclosed pumpkin style LSD that are more readly avalible. I figured that this style VLSD was less common, hence everyone thought it was open even though the signs pointed to LSD.

How much "grease" ran out? That's what actually produces the drag when it heats up, so if their only coated in it, and not immersed in the viscous fluid, that diff wont work well.

Well there was quite a bit of fluid, they were pretty much caked in it. I have never rebuilt one of these before so I couldnt tell you if it is actually the correct amount but it certenly seems like it should be fine. If I have any problems with it I will do like Hondasucks said and pickup some from the dealership.

Do you know what year or anything that diff came out of?

All I know is what the guy that I purchased it from said, "an Impreza". From the picture that was listed on ebay it had stub axles from a datsun with the 4 axle studs. I assume that someone did the swap from the impreza into the datsun 510 and then sold the diff.

• 9 months later...
My LSD works great off road... :confused:
mine does too, i totally dig it and it suites my purposes perfectly. "offroad" means different things to everyone. for myself (and i suppose phil) it's light enough duty offroading that our LSD's are all we need. i don't do trail rides or rock crawling. when i need to drive through snow or up a mountain for hunting i have no problems, but i'm just doing it for purely functional reasons, not as a hobby...so im not pushing the limits like i would imagine the off road guys are.

i've always wondered how they pop the rear pins of the axles out of those welded diffs as i have not removed an XT6 rear axle without dropping the rear diff. not sure if that is rust related or geometry related? anyone know?

i've always wondered how they pop the rear pins of the axles out of those welded diffs as i have not removed an XT6 rear axle without dropping the rear diff. not sure if that is rust related or geometry related? anyone know?

Geometry mostly. With a bit of suspension lift you can pull the axle without unbolting anything. Stock EA81's and EA82's require unbolting the shock mount. It's the lift that lets us do it without taking anything apart.

GD