Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD or NOT? How good are your eyes?

Gravityman

It's the lift that lets us do it without taking anything apart.
that's what i figured but i thought maybe i was missing something. that would make all the difference in the world then, as swapping an axle without a lift is a rather annoying process to be doing every other week. how much lift does it take and would the XT6 be any different than an EA82? sounds like a goal i should keep in mind!

Well it's going to be different for each - EA81, EA82, RX, XT, XT6, etc. As each has a different ride height. The springs/torsion bar, and/or coil over will determine the amount of change needed to make it work.

A jack (Hi-Lift works well with my bumpers) is still needed on most rigs to unload the suspension. Although if you clock the torsion bar down on the EA81's a notch you can get them to a place where the axles will come out without even jacking the rig up... it's a balancing act though and it's going to be harder on a wagon or hatch than a Brat as the weight loading the rear suspension makes them sag down more.

Basically you just have to play with it - a LOT until you get a feel for what works/doesn't work for your specific application. Too much suspension lift and you'll break axles - not enough and they won't come out without taking the shock mount loose.

But in the end, yes it can be done to any of them with the right combination of suspension and lift.

GD

• 2 months later...