Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IDing D/R trannys

The spline count on the output shafts is different. I believe (dont quote me on this as someone else will chim in to correct me if im wrong) that the turbo 5 speed D/R have 25 splines while NA 5 speed D/R have 23. I think i got that right. It might be backwards though so someone else please chim in if i right or wrong.

I think the RX dual range trannies are 1.1:1 but I think that's only the full time boxes, the part-time turbo trannies are 1.2 like you said, as far as I know. I wish it was lower lol, like 2:1.. Just doesn't seem right beign able to be in low range at highways speeds... (My truck tops out at 25 in low)

I was under the impression that the DR turbo trannies were somewhat hard to find lol although I have I think two floatin around...

see thats what im wondering, at least i wasn't going crazy when i thought that i read that.

so the question is there any way from just looking at the outside of the tranny with it out of the car to tell what ratio it is.

now true most of them out there are from the wagons and i would imagine that most people know where their tranny came from but there is always that chance they don't.

My 86 FSM showed both the N/A sedans and the coupes having a 1.2:1 low range. Someone should double check that. The wagons definitely had the 1.5:1

My 86 FSM showed both the N/A sedans and the coupes having a 1.2:1 low range. Someone should double check that. The wagons definitely had the 1.5:1

wow, I've never heard of that :confused:

If I can figure out where I put it, I'll check my '89 FSM....

for the record, the 2 ratios being referred to are 1.196:1 and 1.592:1.

here's where I was getting the info...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/mick/gear-ratios.htm